Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Hardware > Networking

Notices

Networking Use this board for problem solving and the discussion of Networking, router, and Wi-Fi issues

Topic Tools
Old October 2nd, 2007, 12:33 AM

network problems

ok heres my problem, i have been trying to setup my network. I got a switch to connect my computers. But whenever i connect my vista computer to the switch however when there is another pc connected, it shuts off all the computers from the network. and when i connect my vista comp first, it wont allow others to connect. so im not sure whats wrong here, it doesnt work on any switch i try. so im wondering if anyone knows how to fix that.
Old October 3rd, 2007, 12:02 AM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Linux
If you are using a boradband connection you need to use a router instead of a switch. when you connect a computer to the switch it gives that computer the 1 ip address that your ISP gives out per connection so when connectiong other computers to the same switch they don't get an ip. That or they all try to use the same 1 ip and well that never works. With a router you can share the connection because to the outside world you will still only have 1 ip but at your house all the computers will be issued a private LAN ip. Long story short drop the switch and get a router.
Old October 3rd, 2007, 02:41 AM

well, i have my switch connected to the router, and from that i go to the computers. I was not positive, but wouldnt that work if i configured it right? i did the same thing over the summer, i had a couple of laptops on wireless and a computer hooked up. but i never had problems then. so what do you reccomend for routers?
Old October 3rd, 2007, 08:25 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Linux
Ahhhh ok so you have a router and going from that a switch that makes things a bit different now. First thing you want to make sure is that if the router has a port marked "uplink" or a little button beside the port marked "uplink" plug the switch into that port, and or depress the "uplink" button. Also make sure the router is setup to do dhcp because if its not then it will not hand out ip addresses to any computers connected to the switch.
Old October 3rd, 2007, 09:03 PM

thanks alot, it looks like its working now. i needed to set the modem to use a private ip address.