Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows Vista

Notices

Windows Vista Problem solving for the Windows Vista Operating System. Please remember to state which edition of Vista you are using - Home Basic, Home Premium, Business, Ultimate etc. and whether you are using the 32-bit or 64-bit version if you know.

Topic Tools
Old April 30th, 2009, 05:01 PM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
Exclamation VISTA & IE8 - Ready for 'prime' time?

My newest laptop is a Dell Latitude w/ Vista (SP1) & IE7 - has been kept 'up to date' and running just fine - using the MS firewall & defender, along w/ avast!

I've already read a few threads in the 'Vista' and 'Browser' forums about problems w/ IE8, and with some not being able to install the new version or wanting to revert back to an 'older' one!

Today, I just received a Windows notification to upgrade to IE8, and am hesitant, if some 'early bugs' need to be still resolved. My laptop came w/ Vista, so should be ready to go.

But are others hesitating or having good vs. bad experiences w/ this newest browser version from MS on their Vista machines? Thanks -
Old April 30th, 2009, 05:45 PM

My experience of it.
The beta version worked well on my machine, tried it for a few weeks then uninstalled so i think the release version should be ok.
Old April 30th, 2009, 07:52 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows 11
Vista Ultimate SP1 here. IE8, love it.

8 actually cured a bug I had with 7 in the address slot not highlighting all text on a full drag over.
8 certainly runs faster and it is noticable. Not many "speed improvements" you can notice without
a benchmarking tool (measure with a program) but with IE8 you notice the click-zip speed right away.
Old May 1st, 2009, 02:28 AM

O/S: Windows 7 32-bit
I tried IE8 a while back. I don't know what RC it was, but it wasn't still Beta.
It didn't work well with my Vista Home Premium machine. Numerous browser crashes, a few pages not loading properly.
Fortunately, I was able to revert back to IE7 and all is well now.

I got the update notification too, but passed on it right now. I'll wait and see what problems more adventurous people have with it .

Paul
Old May 1st, 2009, 07:30 AM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows Vista 32-bit
I've had good luck with it. Works much better on my machine than 7. 7 has given me all kinds of problems. Plus, 8 is much better with web pages. Its not near as picky as previous versions.

It has been more like FireFox on my machine than 7. So far rock solid.
Old May 1st, 2009, 07:37 AM

Downloaded IE8 last night.
As a novice all I can see is a lot more clutter and accelerators and add ons that I can't get my head around yet.
The status bar in igoogle never seems to finish loading for one.
Oh is the add on next to the address in the top right hand corner, I don't know?

Leave me scratching my head for a while!!!
Old May 1st, 2009, 02:04 PM

Thanks all for your responses - looks like the experiences have been 'mixed' w/ this 'new' IE browser - might just wait a while - not having any major issues w/ my current setup, as mentioned before -
Old May 1st, 2009, 04:07 PM

O/S: Windows 10 Pro
I have XP and downloaded IE8 on two different laptops. Both had serious slow down issues as far as opening IE8 and then opening my homepage. After some googling I found out it was caused by Spybot SD and SpywareBlaster restricted sites.
I decided that I never had a problem with IE7 so I uninstalled IE8 and went back to IE7. All is back to normal now.
Old May 3rd, 2009, 10:26 PM

M. S. I. E. 8 will not let me go.

I get the notification that updates are available. IE 8 is checked. I uncheck it and close or uncheck it and say cancel - no joy! It is still on my system tray - lurking - like the Geico money!

How do I tell MS no thanks?
Old May 3rd, 2009, 11:23 PM

O/S: Windows 7 32-bit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Computer Blues View Post
It is still on my system tray - lurking - like the Geico money!
Do you get the "feeling that somebody's watching you?"

You can "hide" the update like I did by right clicking on it when you ask to show the update. Then choose "Hide Update".

Now, after I did this I got the IE8 update notification the next day...clicked hide once more, and haven't heard from it again.

Paul
Old May 4th, 2009, 11:36 AM

Problem solved.

TU UPS4
Old May 5th, 2009, 02:18 AM
CTH Subscriber

Solve all of your problems and dump IE and use Firefox. Its a whole lot better.
Old May 5th, 2009, 03:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodge View Post
Solve all of your problems and dump IE and use Firefox. Its a whole lot better.
LOL - ! In my den 'easy chair', I alternate between two 'wireless' laptops, one running VISTA (w/ IE7 or Firefox) and the other running Ubuntu w/ Firefox, the latter works just fine for me, so the suggestion is certainly valid!

Yesterday, I posed the same question to my son, an IT person - he seems to be enjoying Google Chrome, which I've read about but have no personal experience - maybe another thread or a continuation of this one?

Any thoughts on this Google offering? Thanks all!
Old May 5th, 2009, 01:26 PM
Cyber Tech Help Moderator

O/S: Windows Vista 64-bit
I use chrome, firefox, ie6, ie7 & ie8 depending on which system I'm running on.

I like chrome as it is pretty7 quick, but it is somewhat limited in that it doesn't have extensions/add-ons. Additionally, it had some security & licensing issues when it first released so so IT departments won't allow its use.

I think most will agree ie6 is at the bottom of the heap. Though ie7 was an improvement, there were still issues. I've been using ie8 on and since the initial beta and thought it has been pretty good. While it still has issue with some websites, turning on ie7 compat mode for those sites usually takes care of the issues.

In all my favorite and preferred setup these days is firefox with the ie tab addon (and ie8). That way I get firefox, but for those ie only sites I can load them using ie [8] right in a firefox tab.
Old June 20th, 2009, 03:53 PM

Well, just an update to this thread that I started in early May - yesterday I decided to upgrade to IE8 (just getting tired looking at that update notification in the system tray!) - well, the IE8 upgrade went fine, VISTA machine re-booted w/o a problem, and the browser seems to be working fine - cannot comment much yet on the comparison to IE7, but at least I don't need to stare at that choice anymore) - thanks again for all of the comments.