Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Hardware > Networking

Notices

Networking Use this board for problem solving and the discussion of Networking, router, and Wi-Fi issues

Topic Tools
Old January 6th, 2005, 06:22 PM

Windows 2000 Laptop on XP Home Network

Hello:

I've got a simple network in my home office. Linksys Wireless-G ADSL Router with a direct connected XP Home machine (from where I intend to share files and printers).

I would like to connect my Win 2000 laptop (normally used for my work network) without removing the domain set up.

Internet sharing works fine. But how do I connect to the Shared files and printers from Windows 2000? I've tried creating the same user ID on the XP machine and using \\machinename\filesharename notation from "map network drive" option from Explorer. This doesn't seem to work.

Have been searching for tips on the internet with not much success.

Any help is appreciated.

Regards,
mikeoverthere
Old January 6th, 2005, 07:48 PM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
I'm going to assume that you are logging onto the computer with the regular user name and password that you do at work. The problem with this is that you then start using a roaming profile that is normally attached to a domain and therefore keeps the domain authentications. Since windows xp is very security oriented, your home computer rejects your laptops request since it doesn't recognize the domain information.

You could enable the guest account (and delete the account you created) on your home computer, this may not work since windows xp always sends its security auths with requsts, but it is worth a shot. I would try to get a machine account for your laptop, such as the local administrator account. If you logon as a local account you have no domain authorizations and everything should be able to work.

Edit: loggin on in this way requires you to change your logon location from the domain to "This Computer" while you are at home. All you do is change it back while you are at work and everything will be fine.