Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows Vista

Notices

Windows Vista Problem solving for the Windows Vista Operating System. Please remember to state which edition of Vista you are using - Home Basic, Home Premium, Business, Ultimate etc. and whether you are using the 32-bit or 64-bit version if you know.

Topic Tools
Old March 20th, 2012, 05:29 AM

Help! Windows Vista won't start unless in safe mode!

So I've been having a weird issue. I double clicked to open a file and it eventually timed out and froze then everything froze. Ctrl+Alt+Del didnt work. Rebooted. All I get now is a black screen and a mouse pointer that can be moved but nothing to click on...there is just black.

I can start it in safe mode and safe mode with networking with no problems.

This is really frustrating.

Thanks for your help!
Old March 20th, 2012, 06:22 AM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows Vista 32-bit
To eliminate third party software as the cause of the problem, try clean booting (see here, Step 1: Perform a clean boot). Dont troubleshoot it yet and make sure you dont download anything or surf to dodgy sites while you are running in this state because your antivirus will be disabled. Can you boot into Windows while in this state?
Old March 20th, 2012, 07:02 AM

YES! It works with a clean boot!

How do i determine which 3rd party software is the cause?
Old March 20th, 2012, 07:22 AM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows Vista 32-bit
Ok, that suggests one of your third party startups is causing the problem. Try the troubleshooting steps now to find out which one it is. It is a bit tedious but quite effective in isolating the troublesome software. Once you find which program is responsible, uninstall it and reboot. You will need to contact their support if reinstalling the software doesnt resolve the issue.