Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows Vista

Notices

Windows Vista Problem solving for the Windows Vista Operating System. Please remember to state which edition of Vista you are using - Home Basic, Home Premium, Business, Ultimate etc. and whether you are using the 32-bit or 64-bit version if you know.

Topic Tools
Old March 23rd, 2012, 08:07 AM

O/S: Windows Vista 64-bit
Angry registry

My grandson pushed 2 keys on the keyboard, "esc and the sleep mode". Of coarse all went black. I could not get it to come back on,( no picture,) even after a few shut downs. After an hour shut down, the next start up it worked but it was like "paused' on the you tube pic we were watching.
It then started loading slow.
I did a 'free' reg scan and it claimed I was a mess. 1200 files ( or something like that) was among one of the many things.
I tried a free reg cleaner and things got worse. Windows didn't want to load. Finally got it deleted ( again after a few hours of a shut down).
though things are working, windows sometimes is very very slow to load. Up to 10 mins. and a few times windows mail has been slow.
I tried the recovery disc but nothing happened.
Will a reg cleaner fix this, if so which is the best or do I need to take it in to be "cleaned, fixed.".etc
My free space left is 155 GB
Old March 25th, 2012, 03:32 AM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows Vista 32-bit
No a registry cleaner will not fix the problem but very likely caused it. How long ago did this happen?
Old March 26th, 2012, 12:56 AM

registry

I would say about 8 days ago. Sometimes when a page doesn't load and asked if I want to diagnose connection. But then when I retry it will load.
Old March 26th, 2012, 03:24 AM
CTH Subscriber

From what you have said, the registry cleaner you used has obviously removed valid registry keys/values. That leaves you with two options.

You can take it into a Repair Shop and let them look at it for you or we can try running System Restore and hope that will undo the damage that has been done. If it doesnt, you will have to let the professionals look at it.

Click on the Start Orb and type System Restore in the Start Search box and it will appear at the top of the menu. Rightclick on it and choose "Run as Administrator". Do you have a Restore point created before your Grandson caused the original problem? If so pick that date and follow the prompts. See http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/w...System-Restore

Reboot when asked and let us know if this helped.
Old March 30th, 2012, 05:28 AM

I do not have a restore date before this mess. Today I saw a charge on my debit card that I did not make. It was made online (e commerce) and appears to be to a restaurant in Nevada. Charges still pending so no positive information. Considering I am in Oregon, am sure I would remember ordering lunch online at 1 pm. lol Could this be from being hacked?
Old March 30th, 2012, 06:11 AM
CTH Subscriber

It's possible but I cant know for sure smiley59. You may have been the victim of a phishing scam and unwittingly provided the information to the scammer.

In view of all the issues this machine has, I think that it would be wise for you to take it into a repair shop and let the professionals fix it for you. There is only so much that we can achieve online.