Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Hardware > Hardware

Notices

Hardware Use this board for problem solving and the discussion of Computer Hardware issues

Topic Tools
Old July 23rd, 2007, 07:42 AM

Travel Drive Troubles!

Hello everyone!! I need a little help.

I did something really dumb. I thought that my computer was pulling up two of my travel drives when I plugged it in, so I told it to ignore it. Not realizing that I was telling it to ignore it forever and always, and also that I would never be able to figure out how to reverse the process.
I have a Gateway 500GR. My Travel Drive is a 128GB Memorex USB 2.0, and it did not come with any installation disc (it had automatic installation once plugged in).
Can anyone help me??? If you need further info, just let me know. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
ScarletRaven13
Old July 24th, 2007, 05:12 AM

O/S: Windows 7 64-bit
Hi,
Questions:
Does your travel drive work in other computers? i.e., it's not dead?
Do you see a little icon in your taskbar (near the clock) that is a representation of your travel drive with a green arrow over it? If so, what happens if you double-click it?
Can you remember exactly what you told to ignore? Windows will usually forget about a travel drive when you remove it, and 'see' it again when you reattach it. Where I'm headed with this question is: is it possible you told your firewall to ignore the drive, and now it's blocking access to it?
If your operating system is XP or Vista, you don't need a driver for the travel drive.
Old August 10th, 2007, 04:48 AM

Hello Strider,
Thank you for responding!!
The travel drive does respond in other computers.
No, I do not see that icon when I plug it in.
This is what I did: When telling the computer to safely remove the hardware, it pops up a window in which you choose which hardware to safely remove. I was seeing two of what appeared to be the same thing. I thought something was wrong with it. It showed a USB Mass Storage Device and the Travel Drive. I thought it was bringing up two of the same thing. So, I right-clicked on the Travel Drive and told it to ignore it. I'm sorry I don't remember more, it has been a while since this was done.
I did not have a Firewall installed at the time. So, I don't think it was that.
Any ideas???

Thanks for your help,
ScarletRaven13
Old August 10th, 2007, 06:09 AM

I can't duplicate what you did with my travel drive; only one instance of it shows up when I 'safely remove hardware.' I assume from your post the travel drive does not appear in Windows Explorer or My Computer. (Have you looked in My Computer?) Let's try this: Plug in your travel drive, then click Start > Control Panel > Performance and Maintenance > System. That should open a window named System Properties with several tabs. Select the Hardware tab, then Device Manager. Click the + next to Disk drives. Does your travel drive show up there? Mine is called 'USB Flash Memory USB Device'. At the bottom of this window is a box labeled Device usage:. Make sure it is enabled.
There is one other place to look in this list: click the + next to Storage volumes. Mine shows 'Generic volume' under Storage volume, and right-clicking Generic volume and selecting properties says it is a storage volume 'on USB Flash Memory USB Device.' It, too, has a box at the bottom labeled Device usage:. Make sure it is enabled.
Is anything listed in Device manager marked with a yellow exclamation point?
I can't think of anything else to try. I searched on 'flash drive ignore' but didn't turn up anything I thought applied
Post back and tell me what you found in Device manager.
Old August 10th, 2007, 09:15 AM

Thank you!!

Strider,
Thanks to your help, I not only figured it out, I fixed the problem.
When I opened up the Device Manager Window, I didn't find my Travel Drive under the 'Disk Drive' tab, but I did find it down the list under 'Universal Serial Bus Controllers'. There is one item with a yellow exclamation point. There was also an item with a red "X" on it. I right clicked that and told it to 'enable'.
Sure enough, that did the trick!!! Thank you so much for your help!!! I feel so silly not knowing the intricate details of my PC, but I try to learn more about it everyday!
By the way, what significance does the yellow exclamation point have??
Thanks again!!! I greatly appreciate it!!

-ScarletRaven13
aka: Brandi
Old August 10th, 2007, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarletraven13 View Post
Strider,
By the way, what significance does the yellow exclamation point have??
Thanks again!!! I greatly appreciate it!!

-ScarletRaven13
aka: Brandi
You're welcome
Whatever the yellow exclamation point is on is not working correctly. It might have a conflict for resources with another device, for example. It may well be something you don't need, like an extra function on your sound card that you don't use.
If you want to pursue it, right-click on it and select properties. Windows should tell you what it is and give you a hint on why it's flagged with the yellow mark.
Old August 22nd, 2007, 08:18 AM

Thanks Strider! I will check on that. I've noticed that the little icon with the green arrow over it appears in my taskbar even when my Travel Drive is not plugged in. When I pull it up it is a USB Mass Storage Drive. I'll do what you suggested!!
Thank you again so much for your help! It's great having my Flash Drive work with my pc again!!!

-Scarlet Raven
Old August 22nd, 2007, 08:23 AM

I think my computer added a new "unknown" hardware device from when I was trying to figure out how to make it find my Travel Drive before I had your help!! I just uninstalled it. I think it was not something I needed!

-ScarletRaven13