Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Windows 10

Notices

Windows 10 Problem solving for the Windows 10 Operating System.

Topic Tools
Old December 1st, 2017, 12:59 AM

O/S: Windows 10 Home
Asus ROG locks up once a day. Found weird fix but scaried.

So for months now it seems like every afternoon (mostly) during work my Asus ROG laptop suddenly locks up. The screen & cursor can't move. The red keyboard buttons stay lighted. There is little to no activity on the "processor" indicator light. I have outlook, Fire fox (6-8 tabs), a few folders, avast, thunderbird mail & iHeart radio all on before the crash. That's not much burden for a gaming pc to handle. I've tried letting it sit there untouched for hours & nothing happens. So far my only option it to hold down the power button til it forcefully shuts down. This is very annoying & time consuming during the work day.

Well I stumbled onto something very strange the other day. The Asus locked up like it always does but this time I had to take it out of my office. I unplugged all the USB cables & the monitor cable. The laptop screen stayed black meaning the image on the monitor didn't switch back to the laptop screen which I didn't think it would since its totally locked up. As my final step I unplugged the power cable & presto!!! The laptop screen came alive & the whole system was up & running like it never skipped a beat. I have now confirmed this 3 more times, that when the lock up happens I simply unplug the power cable & it unlocks the system. I'm thrilled to have an easy work around for the problem, but I'm concern why that trick works.
-Any idea why there seems to be a connection between the laptop locking/freezing up & the unplugging of the power plug to unlock it?
-Since we are dealing with a power plug in a PC should I be concerned about the long term effects? Could this be a sign of a short circuit or other hardware issue?
Old December 1st, 2017, 03:03 PM

Short circuits typically are not intermittent unless there is movement. Are you moving your notebook everyday at this time?

Is it always about the same time in the afternoon? Or does it sometimes happen in the morning or other times? That is, is there some other electronic device that cycles on only in the afternoons and only about the same time in the afternoon?

Does your office get particularly warm only in the afternoon?

Does some scan occur on your computer in the afternoon? Have you scanned for malware?

Is there another identical notebook you can swap power supplies with?
Old December 1st, 2017, 08:22 PM

Thanks for getting back to me.
-No the laptop stays in place 95% of the time.
-I can not say it happens at a certain time window like 1pm-3pm. It seems to happen in the afternoon & late afternoon. That could be because that's when I'm using it the most. I've never had it crash from 9am-12pm or from 8pm-9am.
-The laptop is all by itself on my desk not near any other devices.
-No the office is cold if anything.
-I don't have scheduled scans that I know of going on in the afternoon or even daily for that matter. The only scheduled process I have is an iDrive cloud backup that kicks on at 3am & generally last 30 mins. I have scanned it with Avast! & Malwarebytes several times.
-That idea of swapping out the power supply is an interesting idea. But why would a non-moving laptop freeze up but not crash because of a power supply glitch?
Old December 1st, 2017, 08:30 PM

you did give me an interesting idea. If the power supply is the issue & it drops thus causing the freeze but not crash because it switches over the battery. What if I take out the battery. Then if it happens again it would crash/ turn off proving the power supply is the culprit. What do you think of that idea?
Old December 2nd, 2017, 12:32 AM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
As said could be a faulty Power Supply, or the AC/DC plug inside the laptop is loose. If you do take the battery out and just run it on the power supply, then it locks up you remove the power supply and it works, then you either have a faulty power supply or the AC/DC socket is loose and maybe grounding.
Old December 2nd, 2017, 04:22 PM

Quote:
But why would a non-moving laptop freeze up but not crash because of a power supply glitch?
There does not have to be actual moving parts for a power supply to fail intermittently. Remember, electrons have mass so they are moving parts - just tiny but critically important (and often finicky) ones.

I, as usual, agree with Murf's suggestion.

Also, and to his point about grounding, every home and every computer user should have access to a AC Outlet Tester to ensure your outlet is properly wired and grounded. I recommend one with a GFCI (ground fault circuit interrupt) indicator as it can be used to test bathroom and kitchen outlets too. These testers can be found for your type and voltage outlet, foreign or domestic, (like this one for the UK) at most home improvement stores, or even the electrical department at Wal-Mart. Use it to test all the outlets in the house and if a fault is shown, have it fixed by a qualified electrician.