Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Linux

Notices

Linux Problem solving for all open source distributions of Linux, such as Debian/Ubuntu, Fedora, RedHat, Suse, Mandriva and other proprietary unixes such as Solaris, SGI Irix. Newbie friendly too!

Topic Tools
Old September 22nd, 2008, 05:17 PM

O/S: Windows Vista
Question trying to find best way to experiment with Beryl

I recently discovered Beryl and want to try it out, but my new laptop is running Vista Home Basic SP1! I downloaded Uberyl Linux with intentions of partitioning my system and making it dual boot, but everything I've been reading says that Vista SP1 will not dual boot -- Is this true?

I also stumbled upon Wubu.org which sounds easy enough, but would I be able to run Beryl in this type of situation?

And finally, I came across Sabayon Linux which seems like a good distro but I am having trouble deciding whether my laptop would need the x86 64bit or just the regular x86 distro?

Thanks in advance for any help or advice you can share with me and sorry about the multiple questions!
Old September 25th, 2008, 07:48 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Linux
Beryl is outdated now and was replaced with Compiz. Assuming you have a DVD drive, the latest version of Knoppix, v5.1.1, contains the Compiz package along with a wide variety of 3d drivers.

Knoppix is a live system, which means you can run it directly from the disc without installing it. It is a good solution for you, since it will allow you to play with linux/compiz without having to worry about harming your system during an installation.

You can download the Knoppix live-dvd directly from this link, or you can search for a mirror close to you here.

Once you download the *.iso file (it is about 4GB in size), you will need to burn it as a "Disc Image." If you burn it as raw data, your system will not be able to read the disc. After the dvd has been created, reboot your computer with the dvd in the drive. You may need to go in to your BIOS and change the boot order so that your dvd drive is booted before your hard drive.

If you need help with any of the above, feel free to ask.