Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > General > The Anything Else Board

Notices

The Anything Else Board This board has been designed for all those subjects that don't quite fit in any of the other categories, and is also a place to share ideas and knowledge that you think might prove valuable to our other visitors

Topic Tools
Old October 5th, 2010, 11:09 AM

O/S: Windows 10 Home
Question email spam

I have an old Tiscali email address which I don't use but I look now and again to see if any messages are still coming through. Tiscali puts spam into a spam folder which is useful. I do NOT have an email program on my own Windows 7 computer and only use the web site to access the email accounts I have. In this old Tiscali account I occasionally get an email in the spam folder (which probably is spam - I just delete it) but it says the email ORIGINATES from that old email address of mine i.e. it says the email comes from me and to me in that same account. I have McAfee installed on my new computer (it is up to date and nothing shows up on a scan) and, since I only occasionally visit the email site anyway, this cannot be happening because of a virus on my own computer - and I am not getting this particular spam on any of my other live email accounts. QUESTION: Is it possible for spammers to make it appear that an email has come from me e.g. by cloaking the real email address?
enlandjeff
Old October 5th, 2010, 11:45 AM
CTH Subscriber

Yes it is, this is called Spoofing, it's where an e-mail sending address is forged. The chances are that someone with your e-mail address in their list of contacts has contracted a virus that has stolen your address. The other possibility is that at some stage you have replied to one of these spam e-mails and confirmed that the address they have is a real one.

Never reply to spam, never click any link in an unknown e-mail and certainly never click on an unsubscribe link in a spam e-mail.

You can read about e-mail spoofing here.

I have a Gmail address and I have to say that their anti spam techniques are the best I've seen.

Last edited by Ned Seagoon; October 5th, 2010 at 11:48 AM.
Old October 5th, 2010, 06:13 PM

Red face email spam

Hi,

Thank you very much for your reply. I have never replied to spam or anyone that I do not know. If stuff comes from an unknown source I delete it without opening it and this is very easy to determine if the email provider has already put an email in the spam box. It is not a foolproof system that puts emails in spam folders but it certainly tips the balance in that direction! Thanks once again. england jeff.