Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Software > Gaming

Notices

Gaming Use this board for problem solving and the discussion of PC & Console Gaming issues

Topic Tools
Old April 6th, 2007, 11:39 AM

O/S: Linux
Graphics Card Upgrades

Hey, I'm not entirely sure this is the correct topic to post in, or if it should be in Hardware or something, but it is due to gaming so...

I'm trying to run Final Fantasy XI Online on my laptop. I meet all the specs for RAM etc, but not for the Graphics Card.

The case recommends the following:

"NVIDIA GeForce3, GeForce4 Ti, GeForceFX 5600 or greater graphics card with 64Mb of RAM"

I'm running a Toshiba Satellite A30; and I need to know, is it possible to upgrade my graphics card to one of those and how would I go about it?
We'll assume I know nothing about graphics cards at all for this...

Any help much appreciated, thank you

=)
Old April 6th, 2007, 03:29 PM
CTH Subscriber

Being you have a laptop, and your Video card is integrated into the motherboard, you can't change that. There is no slot inside that computer to add a different video/graphics card.

However, you could try upping the amount of shared memory to 128 and see then if it will play your game. This change depends entirely on how much available system memory you have. If you have more than 512GB's memory/RAM installed, then I would suggest upping the amount of shared memory, if you have 512 or less, then no don't change it because then your operating system would suffer.
Old April 6th, 2007, 05:31 PM

I have 768Mb of RAM (upgraded recently), so how would I go about doing that?
Old April 6th, 2007, 06:39 PM
CTH Subscriber

I have to tell you also, even upping the amount of ram shared to your integrated onboard video is no guarantee that you'll be able to play this game or others. Laptop video is not as fast Mhz wise as standalone card in desktops. But if you want to try this, you'll need to get into your laptop's setup/BIOS and find where ever your video adjustments are. In a desktop it's usually listed under Integrated Peripherals, but on that laptop, I can't say for sure.
Old April 7th, 2007, 01:08 AM
Cyber Tech Help Moderator

Your laptop appears to have Intel 852GM graphics.
http://www.intel.com/support/graphics/sb/cs-007422.htm
Won't work I'm afraid.
Old April 7th, 2007, 10:54 AM

Thank you, I'll try looking at the BIOS and that.
It may appear that's my specs, but Lord knows that half the stuff the manual says this model has it doesn't and it has bits the manual doesn't even mention... So, I may as well try.

If not, well, I'm saving for a new laptop anyways. Can anyone recommend a cheap laptop that will run it? Also, if someone could recommend one that'd be able of running World of Warcraft with the Burning Crusade Expansion?

(I'm currently running both games on the desktop PC at home, but that's not my PC so I get limitted access and I'm rather addicted...)