Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Linux

Notices

Linux Problem solving for all open source distributions of Linux, such as Debian/Ubuntu, Fedora, RedHat, Suse, Mandriva and other proprietary unixes such as Solaris, SGI Irix. Newbie friendly too!

Topic Tools
Old April 16th, 2007, 07:44 AM

O/S: Windows 7 64-bit
Question knoppix 5.1

Hello all
I just downloaded knoppix 5.1 over 4 gigs. whew! Anyways I have been playing around with it and would like to do a harddrive install but can't find any info to help me with it. So if anyone on this forum here's anything or has the solution could you please post it here. Much appreciated. vivekaanand.
Old April 16th, 2007, 09:42 AM
Cyber Tech Help Moderator

O/S: Linux
http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Hd_Install_HowTo
Quote:
Boot off the Knoppix disc. At the KDE desktop, in the konsole command line window enter the command:
sudo knoppix-installer
Old April 16th, 2007, 10:59 PM

tried that

Hello smurfy
I tried that but it came back "command not recognized". In any event I found thru google to use "knoppix installer" and found that worked. But I found the program didn't work. when I choose the partition menu and choose manual it just sent me back to main menu, same with any other choices given. I've downloaded about 6 different distros just to play with and experience. I am keeping unbuntu edgy on a small partion and using another portion just to play. Anyway, I've gotten off track. Thanks for the quick response. If you find anything else please let me know. I was thinking of erasing everything and trying it that way but I shouldn't have to.
Cheers mate. Just reread your post and realized that what I did was enter knoppix installer at the beginning when the knoppix screen comes up and gives the choice to hit enter to run. will reinstall and try your method and see what happens. Thanks again.

Last edited by vivekaanand; April 16th, 2007 at 11:05 PM. Reason: Just reread your post
Old April 17th, 2007, 02:38 AM
CTH Subscriber

Hold down Ctrl and Alt and press F2. Then type knoppix-installer at the prompt. It's worked for me.

Got it from here.

Last edited by mattpg1; April 17th, 2007 at 02:42 AM.
Old April 17th, 2007, 09:08 AM

knoppix 5.1

Thanks Mattpg1
I'll check it out. Thanks everyone for the posts. I have totally moved away from windows and I never plan to turn back. Cheers. I just downloaded fedora core 6 and installed it. It's what I'm using at the moment. Its great fun.