Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Linux

Notices

Linux Problem solving for all open source distributions of Linux, such as Debian/Ubuntu, Fedora, RedHat, Suse, Mandriva and other proprietary unixes such as Solaris, SGI Irix. Newbie friendly too!

Topic Tools
Old May 1st, 2007, 12:32 AM

O/S: Linux
Hello Ubuntu Fiesty Fawn goodby Mandrake 10.1

Downloaded Ubuntu Fiesty Fawn yesterday, burned it to CD, and got some very nice suprises. As I type this I'm actually running from the live CD version. When I booted from the CD it instantly recognized my old Epson 1240U scanner, my Zyxel Zyair G-300 wireless NIC (PCI card), and (best of all) my Canon Pixma IP2000 printer!!!!! Yessssssssssss......... I can print!!!!! yes, yes, yes........ that's what I've been waiting for. Preliminary tests show me that some applications will allow me to select the paper type (plain paper, glossy photo, etc.) but other applications do not. In addition, the max print resolution has been 600 x 600 dpi in everything I've tried. Those applications are Test Print, GIMP, and Firefox.

This morning at work I formatted the disk drive on a spare PC and installed Ubuntu Fiesty Fawn on it. I think the install asked 7 or 8 questions (simple questions) and then it did the install. It took less than 30 minutes and was far easier than any Windows installation I've ever done. Once the install was done it took less than 10 minutes to set up my wireless connection and slightly longer to run the Add Printer wizzard. Everything else just worked, no installation necessary. Oh yeah, almost forgot...., I pluged in my little 256mb thumb drive/san disk and it was instantly recognized and the explorer window popped up to show me all of the files and folders.

Ubuntu Fiesty Fawn blows Mandrake 10.1 away.
Old May 1st, 2007, 12:35 AM
CTH Subscriber

Ubuntu is one of the better ones. I have it installed on one of my computers and seriously considering replacing xandros with it on my other computers.

IMO, mandrake is a dying distro.
Old May 1st, 2007, 04:35 AM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows 10 Home
I've been using Ubuntu for almost 6 months after reformatting my computer and installing the OS on it's own without a Windows OS. After getting some of the tweaks sorted out, I've grown to like it very much, but I'm certainly considering reformatting the computer again to add Feisty onto it. I don't believe you can install Feisty over the original Ubuntu. I had tried Kubuntu as well, but wasn't too happy with that although it did come with some pretty good programs.

The only problem I have for now, is finding a decent program for backing up the files I have on this set up.

I may just order the Feisty CD rather than downloading it.
Old May 1st, 2007, 06:57 PM

O/S: Windows 7 64-bit
ubuntu feisty

I also am very happy with feisty. I've downloaded automatix2 and it works really well. here's the link....as soon as you click on the link you can choose to open it instead of save and it will automatically install.

http://www.getautomatix.com/wiki/ind...e=Installation
Old May 1st, 2007, 07:46 PM

Downloading the iso file was not a problem for me. My current cable connections downloads at nearly 600 kb/second, so it took just over 15 minutes to get the file.

I don't have to worry about backing anything up because I'm going to make the current hard drive a slave and install a new C drive. I have a 100 gig drive and a 160 gig drive laying on a shelf in my garage. I'll install one of those, format it, install Windows XP, and then install Ubuntu. I recently got Adobe Elements and it requires XP so I figure this is a good time to upgrade from Windows 2000 Pro as well as Mandrake. Once I've installed the new operating systems it will be easy to copy all of my files up from the slave drive.

I've never heard of automatix.
Old May 1st, 2007, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekaanand View Post
I also am very happy with feisty. I've downloaded automatix2 and it works really well. here's the link....as soon as you click on the link you can choose to open it instead of save and it will automatically install.

http://www.getautomatix.com/wiki/ind...e=Installation
Is automatix still needed with fiesty? I don't use ubuntu but I heard in the lastest release if something needs additional plugins it will prompt you to download them automatically.
Old May 2nd, 2007, 09:10 AM

automatix2

Hello.
Ubuntu does automatically recognize and offers to download some updates but not all. It doesn't work with unrar or chm files or wvm or avi files.Automatix2 is a wonderful resource that once it is installed which only takes minutes offers multimedia, dvd rippers, programming applications, adobe, flash, java, wine, vmware ~ etc. etc. You just put a checkmark in the square and press start and everything is done automatically Hence the name.
You can read up on it here.

http://www.getautomatix.com/

Hope this helps, I am by no means an authority on anything. cheers.
Old May 2nd, 2007, 09:21 AM

Just thought to mention that once automatix2 is installed you will find it under applications >system tools. And if you click on the above link in my last post and then click the link for feisty,firefox will automatically ask if you want to save or have Gdebi package installer (default) open it. And if you click ok to open it, automatix2 is found by the add/remove program and asks if you would like to install it....press ok and that's it.