Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Linux

Notices

Linux Problem solving for all open source distributions of Linux, such as Debian/Ubuntu, Fedora, RedHat, Suse, Mandriva and other proprietary unixes such as Solaris, SGI Irix. Newbie friendly too!

Topic Tools
Old August 23rd, 2006, 03:54 PM

O/S: Windows XP Home
Installing Fedora on a Secondary Hard Drive

So I've decided that Fedora KDE is the distro for me. Last night, I installed an old hard drive (20GB) to put it on. I have been reading fedora wiki and im having some issues. For example, i dont see it supporting SATA HDD's. Also, how do I get it to install only on my second hard drive. "hdb" as i can understand it. PLease note that I am very un savvy about Linux and when they say to type in some random string of code, all i can relate to is my programming experience and command prompt. Help?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PostCode View Post
Another option is to attach the drive that you want to install Linux on as the primay slave device, leaving Windows as the primary master, and install Linux here. If you install RedHat 8 or 9, both of these versions will see the Windows parition and setup Grub to add this partition in the boot loader. This is the safest way.
Does this apply to Fedora as well? Does it come with GRUB?

Last edited by keylay31; August 23rd, 2006 at 04:38 PM.
Old August 23rd, 2006, 10:03 PM

yes, fedora core comes with grub and will install it for you on the mbr of the master drive. for SATA drives you're going to need additional configuration of the installer. I've never done that before so I can't advise. Try googling it. Once you get past that, it's a graphical installer which should make installing to the right hd easy.
Old August 23rd, 2006, 11:48 PM

O/S: Windows XP Home
mbr? My main drive is SATA, the drive i want to install on, the slave, is IDE
Old August 24th, 2006, 01:46 AM

mbr = master boot record. if the slave is ide, I think you should be fine with the installer. the master boot record is a partition the computer looks at to see what operating system to boot. grub is a bootloader that installs itself in the master boot record and helps you pick which os to boot into.