Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Hardware > Hardware

Notices

Hardware Use this board for problem solving and the discussion of Computer Hardware issues

Topic Tools
Old August 17th, 2010, 08:52 AM

first computer build, OS won't finish install

Hi, I just built my first computer and obviously it didn't go as smoothly as I had hoped. Here are the parts:

CPU: Intel core i5-750 (stock cooler)
Mobo: MSI P55-GD55
RAM: 2x2GB G.Skill 1333 DDR3
GPU: Gigabyte Radeon HD 4350 512MB
HDD: WD 160GB Caviar Blue
PSU: OCZ StealthXStream 700W
Case: Cooler Master HAF 922

Now the problem:
When I try to install the OS (I've tried Windows 7 home premium and Linux Ubuntuu) it will get to the end on the installation and then the power to the computer will shut off completely, and then it turns back on on it's own. For Windows this happens at the "completing installation" step and Linux will actually finish installing and then have this problem on the initial boot up (which it never gets to).

In my attempts to solve the problem I have RMA'd the motherboard, had Geek Squad run a full diagnostic on it and they said the hard drive was the only bad piece, and RMA'd the hard drive.

It's been the same problem throughout all of this and I'd really appreciate any help in solving this issue.

Thanks and sorry about all the reading.
Old August 17th, 2010, 05:14 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows 7 64-bit
Hi,

You could enter the BIOS and look for the setting Halt on:

It is usually defaulted to 'Halt on: All errors'. Change the setting to 'None' and see if it then boots.

I realise that some will say it is not a good idea to choose that option but try it and see what happens.
Old August 17th, 2010, 05:24 PM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
Also, if it runs then shuts down by itself and reboots, could be a heat problem Make sure the heat sink is firmly attached and you did use thermal compound? Get into BIOS SETUP and under hardware monitor (may be different wording), check the temperature, let it run for awhile and watch the temp, what is it?

When I build and install I always go into BIOS SETUP and set everything to DEFAULT.
Old August 17th, 2010, 09:58 PM

The cooling seems to be fine. It's around 40C on the CPU, which should be fine for the stock cooler, and that's immediately after a couple failed installs. I tried it with the default settings and still got the same problem.

dohray: I couldn't find that 'halt on' setting. What section of the BIOS is it usually under?
Old August 18th, 2010, 04:21 AM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
When you mounted the motherboard did you use stand-offs? Maybe one of the stand-offs is touching the motherboard (If it wasn't used).