Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Hardware > Networking

Notices

Networking Use this board for problem solving and the discussion of Networking, router, and Wi-Fi issues

Topic Tools
Old June 14th, 2011, 02:50 PM

Slow file (pdf, doc, txt etc..) opening related to VPN- & syn_sent? Move by Murf

Hello forum,

I've been searching for some months how to fix the following annoyance. The problem is that files (pdf, doc, txt etc) take a couple of minutes to open when I am connected to the internet and not connected via my company's VPN. When I am connected via VPN (or just disconnect from the internet), the files open in a few seconds.

I've noticed with netstat -a that there is a microsoft-ds syn_sent command going to an odd server, which I assume is not available when the VPN is not active - I could be totally wrong here.

No viruses or trojans found - using Windows XP and Cisco VPN.

Hope someone can help with this annoying issue!

BP33

EDIT for clarification:
- The same problem applies to opening up "Windows Explorer", which is very slow to open up if not connected via VPN.
- There are several network connections listed in Windows Explorer - but when I disconnect these, it makes no difference in file opening speeds - and somehow these network connections reappear automatically.
- I've also unchecked 'Automatically search for network folders...' in Folder Options, with no change in speed.

Last edited by bp33; June 14th, 2011 at 04:08 PM. Reason: clarification
Old June 15th, 2011, 09:08 PM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
Welcome to CTH

I'm going to move this to our Networking Forum, should get help there.
Old June 16th, 2011, 07:43 PM
Cyber Tech Help Moderator

O/S: Windows Vista 64-bit
Not sure what windows is trying to do, but if the the microsoft-ds is what is causing the slow startup you might be able to work around it by adding a rule to your router's firewall so that all connections going OUTBOUND to port 445 are rejected. This should cause the outbound connection attempt to fail virtually immediately, instead of waiting for it to timeout.

As a general rule I block port 445 and ports 137-139 outbound anyway as they are the ports used for Windows shares and have no reason to be going out into the wilds of the internet.

let me know if that helps or if you have some questions.

-z1p
Old June 17th, 2011, 10:19 AM

hi z1p,

thanks! blocking port 445 worked! i can be connected to the internet and now log in, open windows explorer, and open files with no delay....

i had tried blocking port 445 before, but it kept coming back as active for some reason. now i used a regedit approach (adding SMBDeviceEnabled), and the block appears to be permanent.

i notice that now on running netstat -a the syn_sent is still occurring, is there a way to permanently delete the server its being sent to? i suspect (from reading on the web) that something went wrong with the "image" the company put on my machine.

cheers,
Old June 17th, 2011, 01:34 PM
Cyber Tech Help Moderator

O/S: Windows Vista 64-bit
You'd have to figure out why it is reaching out to another machine (most likely on the company network) and that can be difficult.

The windows event viewer might give a clue.
Old June 22nd, 2011, 03:26 PM

hi,

Just discovered that disabling Port 445 now prevents me accessing just one (of about 8) network drive at work.

The particular drive is on a samba server.

Any thoughts to get back access (other than re-open Port 445)?

thanks,