Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows XP

Notices

Windows XP Problem solving for the Windows XP Operating System

Topic Tools
Old March 5th, 2007, 11:32 PM

XP user permissions

A couple of years ago I set up my wife's laptop and gave both xp accounts, full access to everything. Now I've been trying to network her laptop with my desk top and when I try to map her drive the error message I get tells me I don't have permission to view the network resource. How do I fix this?
Old March 5th, 2007, 11:36 PM

Try this:

At the XP Login screen, Hit the ALT+CTRL+DEL combo twice.
Set the Username and password to "administrator"
Old March 5th, 2007, 11:46 PM
Cyber Tech Help Moderator

O/S: Windows 10 Home
First, make sure you have something marked as Shared on the laptop. Rather than type it all here, look in XP's help files. There's good information there about setting up a home network.

If the laptop is running XP Pro, in Control Panel>Folder Options>View tab, make sure "Use simple file sharing" is checked. Simple file sharing is the unchangeable default in XP Home.