Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows Vista

Notices

Windows Vista Problem solving for the Windows Vista Operating System. Please remember to state which edition of Vista you are using - Home Basic, Home Premium, Business, Ultimate etc. and whether you are using the 32-bit or 64-bit version if you know.

Topic Tools
Old September 12th, 2014, 04:16 AM

someone PLEASE help! DVD with WMP in vista

I am at the end of my rope and want to burn this stupid computer! I have a dell laptop with vista business. It has a dvd player/burner in it and i have been trying to play DVD's. It aint happening! So i researched it and found out vista business does not come with the mpeg 2 codecs or whatever. EVERYWHERE i read said its no problem though, just download this program called k-lite and it will allow windows media player in vista business to play DVD's. well, they are wrong! I have downloaded that k-lite and it still wont play a dvd. I have tried several other codecs and anything else ive read that will supposedly allow dvd playback on wmp with vista business and it is not working. Ok, is there any possibility on this earth that anyone knows anything i can do to get windows media player to play dvd's on vista business? I really dont want to have to buy another computer with a different os over this stupid problem.. I know there are other players i could download but i really want windows media player to work with the dvd's. Please, does anyone know what to do?
Old September 12th, 2014, 04:44 AM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
Model of the Dell laptop would really help?
Old September 12th, 2014, 01:26 PM

I'm not at home right now but its a latitude d610 or d620
Old September 12th, 2014, 04:31 PM

d610 came with XP d620 Vista so if it is a d620 there are several drivers for the DVD:

http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/...=d620&scat=sup

I would download and install the Audio file (Sigmatel STAC 92XX C-Major High Definition Audio Driver), should include the codecs.

See if that works, also on the same page you can do a System Analysis to see if the drivers are up to date.

Also may want to try this:
https://www.mediaplayercodecpack.com/
Old September 12th, 2014, 05:52 PM

Well, the drivers for the cd and dvd drive are there and work. It will play and burn cds just not dvds and from what I've read its because vista business did not have the mpeg2 and license for dvd use and that you have to buy that stuff from microsoft for it to work. I did more research and found that k~lite is supposed to have everything needed to make it work. Still didn't work.
Old September 13th, 2014, 12:59 PM

I would like to upgrade to vista ultimate or 7 as those have dvd support, what is the cheapest way to upgrade?
Old September 13th, 2014, 11:52 PM
Cyber Tech Help Moderator

mopower440, why do all your original links link to forums. techguy. org?
Old September 14th, 2014, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jintan View Post
mopower440, why do all your original links link to forums. techguy. org?
Not sure what you mean? I have this question posted on techguy also trying to get an answer.
Old September 14th, 2014, 11:04 PM
Cyber Tech Help Moderator

Other than please do not post the same request in different forums (since those that help here will not be aware of help suggestions or changes in the other forum), all your first post's links go to the other site's forum.
Old September 15th, 2014, 06:22 PM

Sorry I didn't realize the 2 forums were linked. Just trying to get an answer. Seems that most people were not aware that vista business did not come with whatever it needs to play dvds in WMP.
Old September 15th, 2014, 10:08 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Linux
you can download vlc and it will play dvds. you do not need to download separate codec for it.

http://www.videolan.org/index.html
Old September 16th, 2014, 01:39 AM

Well, i want to be able to burn dvd's to play in a regular dvd player also. I have lots of vcr tapes i am converting to dvd using the vcr/dvd burner combo that plugs to the television. I would then like to take that dvd and copy it to my laptop and burn copys of it, but obviously i cant until i figure out a way to make it all work. VLC and MPC dont do all that, they only let you watch dvd's. I ended up downloading MPC and can finally watch DVD's in the laptop, but need a way to burn them also. Should i just upgrade to vista ultimate so WMP will function with all these options correctly or is there any free dvd player/burner programs out there? In other words, i want to be able to burn real DVD movies that will autoplay on a regular old home DVD player, Not just burn data dvd's..anyone know of an all in one player/burner that will do all that?

Last edited by mopower440; September 16th, 2014 at 02:34 AM.
Old September 16th, 2014, 09:56 AM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Linux
Quote:
Originally Posted by mopower440 View Post
Well, i want to be able to burn dvd's to play in a regular dvd player also. I have lots of vcr tapes i am converting to dvd using the vcr/dvd burner combo that plugs to the television. I would then like to take that dvd and copy it to my laptop and burn copys of it, but obviously i cant until i figure out a way to make it all work. VLC and MPC dont do all that, they only let you watch dvd's. I ended up downloading MPC and can finally watch DVD's in the laptop, but need a way to burn them also. Should i just upgrade to vista ultimate so WMP will function with all these options correctly or is there any free dvd player/burner programs out there? In other words, i want to be able to burn real DVD movies that will autoplay on a regular old home DVD player, Not just burn data dvd's..anyone know of an all in one player/burner that will do all that?

you can rip dvds with vlc. just google it.
Old September 16th, 2014, 01:01 PM

I'm talking about burning dvd discs that will play on the average home dvd player..
Old September 16th, 2014, 03:26 PM

1st IMO Vista sucks, if you are going to upgrade get Windows 7.

http://softreviews.co/get/imgburn/?p...Gburn+Download

Most of this free software now is bundled with other crap, and or download managers, if you can't find a stand alone download, then when installing read carefully as you can skip/decline installing the crap that come with it. If not once installed, go into Add/Remove programs and get rid of the other stuff the program installed.

I have used ImgBurn works great.