Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Hardware > Hardware

Notices

Hardware Use this board for problem solving and the discussion of Computer Hardware issues

Topic Tools
Old February 4th, 2007, 11:31 AM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
Question computer shuts down and wont restart

Ok My computer would not start so I connected another power supply and it worked. then it just shut down on me again and would not start again. I built this about 6 months ago it has a 450w power supply pentium 4 3.06, biostar motherboard,512 ram,and an all in wonder video card. it is not connected to the internet so I don't see how it could be a virus. I am running win xp home. Any help in troubleshooting this would be appreciated.
Old February 4th, 2007, 03:19 PM

Well, viruses and other malware can still get in via removeable storage devices or other networked devices but generally it is difficult if not connected to a network. Still, an occasional scan would be prudent.

How do you keep you system updated with current patches and drivers?

At some point, I would increase your RAM to 1Gb - XP's sweet spot - but that's not your problem right now.

You describe typical heat related symptoms. Did they just start? What happens if you walk away for 1/2 hour to let it all cool down - does it start then?

How did you mount the CPU's heat sink? Two common mistakes are (1) no thermal paste or pad and (2) too much thermal paste.

The pads that come on HSFs from the factory are often just not good enough - better than nothing for sure, but using a silver or ceramic based thermal paste is better. But, it must be applied in the thinnest layer possible, while still completely covering the CPU die.

Ensure you have good front to back air flow. I prefer a fan in front, drawing cool air in, and at least one fan in back (in addition to the PSU fan) exhausting air out. If using a side fan, it should blow in. A top "blow hole" fan should exhaust air out.

Route cable to minimize air flow restriction - I recommend replacing all flat ribbon cables with round cables. And make sure then innards are clean of dust and dirt, and all fans spin freely.
Old February 5th, 2007, 02:13 AM

I have updated drivers for my video card but that was last sept. In order to get it to start again I have to shut the power suppl off or disconnect it for at least a day. then it usually just light up as if it was turning on then goes right back off. I did use silver based thermal paste with a upgraded fan and I have 3 case fans 2 rear 1 side. I also have round cables.

could the power supply be bad? or not enough watts? I have a 650 watt I was going to try.
Old February 5th, 2007, 04:43 AM

Could be a bad PSU - if you have another, give it a try.
Old February 5th, 2007, 03:38 PM

disconnect everything from the power supply, and test each thing out individually. remove the graphics card and use the onbord graphics on the motherboard, see what happens. if this all works it might be a virus from the disk that you used or from a floppy disk. did you use anything like this?
Old February 5th, 2007, 05:15 PM
CTH Subscriber

I would take a look at the motherboards capacitors, could be they are bulging and or leaking. Good cause for, after changing power supply computer still restarts or won't start.
Old February 6th, 2007, 10:07 AM

thats a good idea.