Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Hardware > Hardware

Notices

Hardware Use this board for problem solving and the discussion of Computer Hardware issues

Topic Tools
Old February 10th, 2003, 05:28 PM

O/S: Windows 10 Home
Unhappy Missing Memory

I have 128 meg ram in the computer. It was recognizing all 128 megs until yesterday. I had a hard drive problem and got that resolved...now my memory is giving me a problem.
I have 128 meg and the computer is coming up saying I have 64 meg.
What is the easiest way to tell if the memory has gone bad? Can I tell without getting into the computer once again?
I probably need to go in and reseat it and see if that helps...but then after I do that, if it is still not recognizing the other 64 megs..is there an easy way to tell it if is bad..before I spend the money to replace it.

thanks
Barbara
Old February 10th, 2003, 05:59 PM

Barbara
Do you have 2, 64m or 1, 128m card, and sorry to say first things first, you should reset it.
>cody
Old February 10th, 2003, 06:19 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows Vista 32-bit
In addtion to what cody580 has recommended, you might try placing the RAM in other slots, depending on availability.
Old February 10th, 2003, 06:49 PM

missing memory

I'll attempt to reseat the memory. I have two 64's put in.
I'll try either tonight or tomorrow evening after work.
SO it may be a couple days before I get back and let you know if it worked...or am still having problems.

have a great day,
Barbara
Old February 11th, 2003, 04:00 PM

Barbara
When you get around to resetting your ram cards,take both of them out,set one of them in slot 0 or 1 how ever they are numberd, boot up then see if you are ok, ie 64m shut down and do the same thing with the other card, see if you have 64m, every thing being alright set your cards in 0 & 1 or however your first slots are numbered, boot up and you should be off to the races >cody

Note: Before you touch a card inside your PC,
unplug your power cord,hold your on off button in 30 seconds, touch a bare screw with your finger for a second, & you should try to find something plastic to unlatch the tabs on your ram card.
Old February 12th, 2003, 09:26 PM

Memory

Thanks,
I thought I would try to check it out tonight or tomorrow night. Ran into something else I needed to get done last night so didn't tackle it yet. I do want to find out if it is bad so I can round up one Saturday if it is. So will get into it tonight or tomorrow. I'll let you know the outcome once I have checked it out.

Thanks for all your help.
Most problems, I've been able to tackle and get them done, but the last couple ones I've run into, I got stumped. Now and then have to really do some digging to get my answers.

have a good day
Barbara (Wednesday 2/12/03)
Old February 14th, 2003, 08:21 PM

Missing Memory

Well, I reseated, and booted up...
What looks weird and maybe it is suppose to be that way. I just never noticed it before..
When it boots, on the screen, it puts up that there are 64.0 ram
if you go to the Control Panel and click on SYSTEM, on that screen it is showing that there are 128mg pentium. If you go into the System information through Norton System works, it is displaying that the memory is 128.

Sooooo, is the 64.0 that it puts up on the screen when it boots, just displaying incorrectly, since in SYSTEM area it is showing that I have 128?

I haven't had a chance to take out one and boot and then put it in and boot, yet. Thought the way it was displaying was strange...maybe it isn't..i'm not sure.

thanks
Barbara
Old February 14th, 2003, 09:43 PM

(solved) missing memory

Well....didn't realize it until now...when I boot, it is displaying my memory for the new video card I installed. DUH!! I had never noticed it before I guess. The new video card I installed has 64mb and that is what is coming up. (someone pointed me in the right direction). I'm sure learning as I go here. Therefore, the 128 ram is okay.. working fine. I think I'm in business now. :o)

You all have been terrific with your help.
This weekend, I'm off to build another computer for someone.
I love it.

have a great weekend
and Happy Valentine's day to you all

Barbara