Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows XP

Notices

Windows XP Problem solving for the Windows XP Operating System

Topic Tools
Old February 25th, 2010, 06:46 PM

pc wont go past f8 black screen

I updated my Eusing Free Registry Cleaner and once completed it said to restart my computer. I did the restart and now it won't let me go pass the black f8 screen. It just keeps looping back to it. I tried all options (start windows normally-safe mode-last known working config., safemode w/command etc.) to restart windows and it don't work. I then tried to do a system recovery and it says error2:c:\mining\system32\restore.log.missing. Then I tried with the recovery disk and it said corrupt or missing please reinstall \system32\ntoskrnl.exe. I know nothing about fixing computers and have no clue why this happened. Please help???

Sorry if I posted in the wrong thread.
Old February 25th, 2010, 11:32 PM
Cyber Tech Help Moderator

O/S: Windows 10 Home
What is the "recovery disc" you tried to use...a Windows XP installation disc you purchased separately, a Windows XP disc that came with the computer, a recovery disc that came with the computer or a recovery disc you made after you got the computer?

Also, what is the make and model of the computer?
Old February 28th, 2010, 04:15 PM

it was the recovery disc that came with the computer. I got it in November of 2005 and I havent had any major problems with it. It always was fast enough and I had all the appropriate virus/spyware/malware programs running and I ran the cleaners etc. on a regular basis.

Its a-
Emachines T5020 Desktop PC
Windows XP media center edition 2005

thanks for your help!
Old February 28th, 2010, 06:04 PM

I'm not familiar with the details of how eMachines recovery discs work but are you putting the disc in the CD/DVD drive, then rebooting? If so, is it recognizing the disc during bootup or is it still trying to boot on into Windows?
Old March 1st, 2010, 02:39 PM

its recognizing the disc and seems like its gonna start the recovery process but then I get the error corrupt or missing please reinstall \system32\ntoskrnl.exe and it wont go any further. I was reading something on here about pcs messing up b/c of a windows update, is it possible thats what may have happened?
Old March 1st, 2010, 07:12 PM

The error you're getting is usually the result of a corrupt Windows installation. That indicates to me that it's not trying to boot to the CD.

If there is a screen during the boot process indicating a key to press "To boot from CD...", press that key when you see that screen.

If there is no such screen, you'll need to get into the BIOS (also called Setup) to move the CD/DVD drive up to first in the boot device order.

There should be a screen early in the boot process...one of the first...with a line on it indicating a key to press "To enter Setup." When you see that screen, press that key. If you press it too late, just turn the computer off then back on and try again.

Once in Setup, there are instructions on the screen how to navigate using the keyboard. Move the CD drive up to first in the boot order, use the "Exit saving changes" (or similar wording) to exit Setup and, if the recovery disc is in the disc drive, it should boot to the disc where you can reinstall.