Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Windows 10

Notices

Windows 10 Problem solving for the Windows 10 Operating System.

Topic Tools
Old April 7th, 2019, 03:48 AM

O/S: Windows 10 Home
Microsoft Edge

How to uninstall Microsoft Edge....do I need it?
Old April 7th, 2019, 06:02 PM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
Do you need it? NO

Sorry to inform you that there is no option to uninstall\delete Microsoft edge. There are third party apps that may uninstall it.

If you wish to disable or uninstall Microsoft Edge, bear in mind that it is a core feature of Windows 10 and (as was the case with Internet Explorer) cannot be removed by conventional means.

Removing or disabling Microsoft Edge might cause system stability issues. I recommend that the best option is to simply use another browser as your default browser.

Change the default from Edge to what ever you want to use.
Old April 8th, 2019, 02:33 PM

If you have another browser you prefer, then no, "you" don't "need" Edge. But Murf is right and removing it could cause stability issues because the OS may use it and that's okay. It causes no harm and poses no risks sitting unused on our computers.

But I would advise you to keep it regardless. No browser is perfect. And there WILL be times you cannot connect to a site, or you will experience other internet issues that you cannot immediately tell if the problem is on your end, or with the site you are trying to connect to. So it is always nice to get a second opinion with another browser.

There's another reason to keep Edge. Microsoft is totally redoing it and so far, the new version looks very promising. It is being based on Chromium, the open source project Chrome and several other popular browsers are based on. That's good news as it will ensure much greater compatibility with many more websites. Also good news is it will not contain any Google services, which should help please those who (and rightfully so, IMO) don't trust Google to keep their privacy private.

There has been no official release date yet, but unofficial leaked versions are already out there. The official release is expected to be soon, so whatever reason you have now to remove edge may become moot at that time.

For more information, see, Microsoft Replacing Edge With Chromium-based Browser.
Old April 8th, 2019, 09:31 PM

ok....thanks.....I use Google so how do I disable it and stop it from interfering all the time and popping up?
Old April 8th, 2019, 10:23 PM

Make sure Chrome is set as your default.

See https://www.bing.com/search?q=set+go...FORM=QBLH&sp=3
Old April 16th, 2019, 06:31 AM

Chrome is set to default but today ME popped up on my opening my PC today.......its back.....
Old April 16th, 2019, 03:43 PM

ME? Assuming you meant IE, without knowing any of the events leading up to this "pop up", no way of knowing what happened. It could be totally innocent.

Depending how some of your 3rd party programs are coded, when you click on a link, it could pull up IE instead of your default browser.
Old April 16th, 2019, 10:00 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Linux
some links will override your default and use ie when opening new windows. it is something you have to put up with.
Old April 17th, 2019, 04:56 PM

Quote:
some links will override your default and use ie when opening new windows. it is something you have to put up with
It should be noted this is NOT due to MS or IE forcing itself on you. It is how the programmers of the program you using when you click on that link coded their program. They likely hard-coded IE or perhaps some .NET Framework call and that is what starts IE.

I see this with my spam blocker program. If I already have Pale Moon open and I click on a link in my spam blocker, a new tab in Pale Moon opens and all is good.

But if Pale Moon is not already open and I click on certain links (not all do it), IE will open. Again, that is not IE's fault. It is doing what it is told. It is my spam blocker's fault (and fortunately, on their to-do list to fix).
Old April 18th, 2019, 06:18 AM

ME = Microsoft Edge........no its not when visiting sites but randomly popping up when I turn my pc on in morning.......nothing to do with me clicking anything...its involuntary.......