Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Hardware > Hardware

Notices

Hardware Use this board for problem solving and the discussion of Computer Hardware issues

Topic Tools
Old July 15th, 2015, 04:38 AM

constant buzzing humming sound coming from headphones on new laptop

Bought a new laptop today and it is there is a constant buzzing/humming coming from the headphones when its plugged into the laptop headphone jack. I tried unplugging the power cable because I read from google that it might be a grounding issue, but that does not fix it. Also tried disabling the microphone and sound itself, but it still buzzes. Updated bios, still buzzes. The only time it does not buzz is when the computer is completely turned off. I guess its a hardware thing and some sort of interference. I just wanted to check if there is any fix that would not void the warranty or any way to clearly diagnose whats the issue. I don't really want to go through the process of returning it but as of now it looks like I will have to. There is no buzzing from the headphones when plugged into my phone or tablet, I do however have the same problem on my desktop pc and had a similar issue on my old laptop if i remember correctly. I have an external audio interface connected to the desktop so the problem has not bothered me for a while, but I think it will on the laptop because its more portable. Maybe some sort of EMF in my house?

Anyway, thanks for your help.
Cody
Old July 15th, 2015, 03:41 PM

O/S: Windows 7 64-bit
Quote:
Originally Posted by quixotiK View Post
Bought a new laptop today and it is there is a constant buzzing/humming coming from the headphones when its plugged into the laptop headphone jack. I tried unplugging the power cable because I read from google that it might be a grounding issue, but that does not fix it. Also tried disabling the microphone and sound itself, but it still buzzes. Updated bios, still buzzes. The only time it does not buzz is when the computer is completely turned off. I guess its a hardware thing and some sort of interference. I just wanted to check if there is any fix that would not void the warranty or any way to clearly diagnose whats the issue. I don't really want to go through the process of returning it but as of now it looks like I will have to. There is no buzzing from the headphones when plugged into my phone or tablet, I do however have the same problem on my desktop pc and had a similar issue on my old laptop if i remember correctly. I have an external audio interface connected to the desktop so the problem has not bothered me for a while, but I think it will on the laptop because its more portable. Maybe some sort of EMF in my house?

Anyway, thanks for your help.
Cody
Hi Cody,

Take your Laptop to a friends house, or somewhere far from your house.
Then see if the buzzing noise is still present.

If not.
Then yeah, you have something in your home, or close by that is causing the noise.

Tracking down the offending item may be in the your home.
Could be:
Refrigerator(s)
Air Conditioner(s)
Furnace Blower
Pumps
Fluorescent light fixtures, or Bulbs
TV(s)
Radio(s)
Clock(s)
Etc....
Try unplugging each item one at a time while listening to your Laptop.
When you don't hear the buzzing, you have found the offending item.

Note: It could be a noisy Power Transformer connected to your home.
You'll need to contact the Power Company about coming out and replacing it.

If the buzzing noise Is still there after you have gone too a friends home, or have taken it to far away place.

Then go back to the store you purchased it from and get a replacement, or your money back.

Signed: Ensign Tzap
Old July 15th, 2015, 05:37 PM

went ahead and returned the laptop and got a different one, no issues so far :-) thanks for your help
Old July 15th, 2015, 09:34 PM

O/S: Windows 7 64-bit
Okay, that is probably the best thing to do.

I missed the statement about your Desktop PC.
And that you are connecting the Audio output to an External Audio interface.

Is this the same system you had asked about awhile back,
as too what could be causing the buzzing from the Analog Audio Jack?
And you resolved the problem by using a USB Audio interface?

Signed: Ensign Tzap