Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Hardware > Hardware

Notices

Hardware Use this board for problem solving and the discussion of Computer Hardware issues

Topic Tools
Old May 30th, 2005, 02:22 PM

O/S: Windows Vista 64-bit
Help for a fool required:

Hiya..

My son {in all his wisdom} decided to completely dismantle the insides of his computer and clean it..

problem now is he cant get it to run again..

we downloaded the manual on his motherboard and im 99.999% certain all the connections are back in the right place..

What happens is: when we power up, the fans on the cpu and power box almosts start{as in moves approx 5 mm}before stopping. {If this was a 3 phase motor i would guess as it dropping a phase,if you get my point}

It appears {after much prompting from me as to what happened} that whilst playing Sims 4, the computer froze giving a still screen and an audio sound that went to just a screech, after having no luck with Alt,ctrl delete to get task manager up, he turned it off manually wiht out going thru shut down.. he then opened the case and decided to clean it

ive had a thorough look at the cpu and motherboard and there is no APPARENT visual damage

any suggestions before he takes it in for repair????
Old May 30th, 2005, 02:49 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows XP Pro
Best of luck.....there will not be any apparent visual damage most times as static is probably what could have killed this. I would start by reseating the ram and video card leaving everything else out of the box. Have the motherboard mounted properly and put the video card and memory in connect the power supply and see if you can get it to boot. If not remove the motherboard and make sure it is not grounding against the case.

ONE QUICK NOTE. Sounds like you might know a bit about 3 phase motors and high flux electricity.....this is totally different as you are dealing with low voltage. If you really do not know much about computers and hardware, you may be best served taking it to a shop or a geeky friend.

If there is a chance of saving it.....
Old May 30th, 2005, 03:24 PM

cheers.. i did ask him if he "ground himself" he said No...

i thought about grounding him myself:d

thanks anyway..*waves
Old May 31st, 2005, 05:33 PM

Have you solved your problem? If you haven't let me knowi have some suggestions...
Old June 1st, 2005, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision
Have you solved your problem? If you haven't let me knowi have some suggestions...
im all ears Vision..

any help would really be appreciated, as he is trying to save his money to upgrade his puter, rather than repairing it..
Old June 1st, 2005, 05:06 PM

O/S: Windows 98 SE
The PSU fan that starts but stops quickly usually means something in the system is loading the supply down.
Do as Sarrkazztic suggested. Unplug everything in the case, power cords, cables, etc. including power to the mobo.
Now plug power into one component only. Just use one of the 4 wire molex connectors to a hard drive, flop drive, cpu fan, etc, but only one device.
Turn on power and see if fan spins correctly. If yes, then you have to localize the problem. Unplug whatever you plugged in.
Now remove all boards except video card and memory, mobo (plug power cables back in mobo), hook up monitor and keyboard.
Now see if it will show a post on the monitor (power on self test) and make sure PSU fan is still spinning. If the monitor shows booting in progress, you'll have to start plugging all things back in, checking as you go, to see what is holding the PSU down. You'll probably have a loose connection somewhere.

If PSU fails to spin with one component hooked to power, the PSU is faulty.

Done this a million times. Easiest to localize and isolate this type problem.
Ground yourself occasionally by touching the metal PSU. Show your son how to do the grounding also, if he's not still grounded to his room.

BTW, I only know a 3 phase a/c motor can have the direction changed by changing 2 legs of the phase wiring. Well, I do know more than that but doesn't pertain to computer.

Last edited by Nick Grana; June 1st, 2005 at 05:12 PM.
Old June 1st, 2005, 05:19 PM

necesito ayuda helppppppp

necesito informacion sobre la motherboard rx133pm ya que quiero optimizarlo al maximo ¿como lo hago? tengo un procesador 233 cyrix quiero cambiarlo por otro mas bueno ¿cual puedo poner ? te agradeseria un monton que me respondieras este mensaje, ademas de poner el maximo de disco duro y ram simm 72 pines mmmm esperando una pronta respuesta se dispide franto en todo caso mi mail es fran.francisco@gmail.com

[Here's the best I can find on the above: "I need information on motherboard rx133pm since I want to optimize it to maximo since I do it? I have a processor 233 cyrix I want to change it by another but good one as I can put? you agradeseria a pile that you responded east message to me, ademas to put maximo of hard disk and ram simm 72 pins mmmm waiting for a quick answer dispide franto in any case"]
Old June 1st, 2005, 06:02 PM

Interpreter on hand??
Old June 1st, 2005, 06:58 PM

Captn K, When a mobo usually does that (powers the fans and what not for an initial charge, but stops) it usually means the CPU is bad (wouldn't doubt if you son had some fun taking the cpu out of the socket).
My money is on the CPU, not the power supply. If Power supply faulty, usually won't get an initial charge over and over again.
Try that Capt K and let us know.
Old June 2nd, 2005, 12:35 PM

Thanks for the responses Darth,HeeroEYuy and franto{although i suspect franto is having a go coz we won the CL}

as expected got home from work today to find impatient son has taken it to a computer shop for repairs..{despite my telling him to wait a little}

will let you know what they come up with..{hopefully they wont rip him off}..
Old June 2nd, 2005, 03:22 PM

Wow!! And after all that typing I did to simplify things.
Oh,well. If your son has the money. That's what these forums try to avoid.
Now you will need a cpu, mobo, PSU. etc. If honest repair, maybe not.
Is your son back in his room again?
Good luck.

P.S. HeeroEYuy, I'd have to disagree with.....well, everything you said.
Sure anything is possible but my experience shows me otherwise and my methodology would have confirmed the culprit.

Last edited by Nick Grana; June 2nd, 2005 at 03:29 PM.