Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Windows 7

Notices

Windows 7 Problem solving for the Windows 7 Operating System. Please remember to state which edition of Windows 7 you are using - Starter, Home Basic, Home Premium, Professional, Enterprise or Ultimate.

Topic Tools
Old October 22nd, 2010, 10:05 PM
CTH Subscriber

How to Multi Boot on a 64bit system?

I would like to be able to install and boot up to XP on a Windows 7 Ultimate laptop.

I can create an unused partition with 7's software but would like to find a boot manager that can work with 7 and load XP if required.

I have tried the Virtual XP but is a very erratic system and 7 64bit drops the ball and things become confused as to which drive it is working either virtual C or the true one.

Yes I know that if 7 is wiped then XP loaded first then 7 reloaded this would work but wonder if it can be done without disturbing 7, so one would be 64bit and the other 32 bit.

Any ideas many thanks from David
Old October 22nd, 2010, 10:21 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Linux
see the following. look at the second method where win7 is already installed.

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials...dows-7-xp.html

or

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/8790/...puter-with-xp/
Old October 24th, 2010, 01:31 PM
CTH Subscriber

The Geek method seems the clearest in description which is always good! before you need to look at all those possible niggles that may crop up. When I read the 7 forum method it was like MS saying yes you can, but its tricky, (Do you need to do it) then try to put you off with text notes, though the information may well be needed in some cases, it covered everything.

I have some old 16bit software which is Easy and Uncluttered to use and virtual XP is a poor substitute, plus if you try to link through to an external device the system has a hiccup and you find things have become mixed up. This way I can possibly carry on a newer laptop and be able to find software that I like to take over in my own pace and time.

Many thanks for your help from David