Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Hardware > Hardware

Notices

Hardware Use this board for problem solving and the discussion of Computer Hardware issues

Topic Tools
Old October 8th, 2003, 04:12 PM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
Since the HD Questions are flying

Since the Hard Drive questions are going around. I have one myself. I have a 80GB barracuda, brand new retail. It is the perfect size for my computer. One problem, I can not get a partition on it. I have tried 3 ways to do it. Fdisk, windowsxp disk manager, & Partition Magic 8.0

WindowsXP's Disk manager & Partition magic to the same thing to my computer.
Locks up-Big time!! I have to do a forced restart, booting back to windows. It says I recovered from a serious error, then freezes again. Restart everything becomes fine. So I delete the unfinished partition.

Fdisk, I have no idea what is going on. I'll delete the partition(if I had tried before). select option #1, create a parititon. I tell it to make a primary partition. Then it verifies the HD. Tries to anyway, It just stays at 0% verified. I waited for about 12 hours, no go. Once it went to 1%, about a minute latter. It went back to 0%.

I really want to get this drive going. It is very special if you know what I mean. If not think of five fingers.
Old October 8th, 2003, 04:32 PM
Cyber Tech Help Moderator

try the Seagate Utilities. You can find them on the seagate site.
Old October 9th, 2003, 07:25 PM

You must be using windows XP I'm having the very same problem and have used the same programs as you have. I have an 80 gig seagate retail and I believe that mine came with a CD that did all the work for me. Unfortunaltly I can't find my disk now so?! also, I was using windows ME at the time so I theorise that XP is the issue. try looking at http://fdisk.radified .com, extreemly comprehensive and detailed. I also found a work around at Microsoft.com detailing partittioning in XP, sorry I lost the address, let me know if you have any success cause I want to repartittion my HD as well, also I think that FTFS may have a lot to do with this and I'm debating a change to Fat 32 for partittioning then changing back to NTFS Good Luck,
Old October 9th, 2003, 11:10 PM

I have used the program you are talking about, it is also not windowsXP for me. I have 98se,ME. Linuxmadrake 9.1 I think that my drive is bad. Unless you guys think otherwise
Old October 10th, 2003, 12:54 AM
Cyber Tech Help Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by degsy
try the Seagate Utilities. You can find them on the seagate site.
Have you?
Old October 10th, 2003, 01:46 PM

No, I thought that one partittion program is about as good as the other. I want a standard parition. I don't care if I get full capableites.(However you spell that). I'll give it a try. My question is, What is so special about it? (Seagates software)?
Old October 12th, 2003, 10:26 PM

Formatting

Seagate software is designed to work with seagate hardware. I used to use Windows ME despite all the negatives and Segate,s formatting software was a breeze to use. I have also used the Fdisk utility with ME with success, however, ME is complicated and I will try to help you out if you will give me the spec's on your computer. Memory, board etc. You may just need an update for your hardware etc. I discovered that often the OEM systems, Dell, Gateway do not like for you to mess with their system's and will not make it easy for you to upgrade much of anything. ME is notorious but I've learned alot about it and might be able to locate a problem. please list hardware and software profile--JW
Old October 13th, 2003, 01:14 PM

OKay, I used seagates on-line software that they have. And it is saying something about a S.M.A.R.T. What on earth is that! The only thing that I'm comming to is that it is now a pice of junk.

I Install hundreds apon hundreds of hard drives. This is the 4th segate hard drive I have ever put in a system. It is really making me mad.
Old October 13th, 2003, 04:29 PM

Stick that thing in a new computer and see if it will partition.
Old October 14th, 2003, 01:50 PM

Why, you think that my computer is to old? Think a BIOS Update will fix that? Because my BIOS finds it. Anyway, I can try.
Old October 16th, 2003, 01:28 PM

okay, the Bios picks up the new HD. I go to Partition it. All is fine. Now, put it back in mine. Works okay for about 5 minutes. Tried to make a bootable drive with dos. No go, I just waits &waits & waits. Wait is up with my computer? I put a 120GB hard drive in there, seagate. And it let have full functions.