Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows XP

Notices

Windows XP Problem solving for the Windows XP Operating System

Topic Tools
Old May 29th, 2005, 12:23 PM

windows boot manager supporting xp and debian

Hi to all,

I was using windows XP (on a 4GB hd, as master) and debian linux (on another 4GB hd, as slave). I was booting from the xp hd, using grub. I have replaced the windows hd with a newer one, and copied all my windows files to the new hd, but not the mbr. My problem is now that I can only boot into the windows hd. The hd with the linux is there, with all its data intact, but I cannot boot into it. The old windows hd in no longer in my hands (so I could copy its mbr).
I have no debian boot disk.

So, any suggestions for a boot manager that I can install using windows and that will recognize both the windows and debian hard disks?

PS: I'm pretty experienced with windows, but a total newbie regarding linux.
Old May 30th, 2005, 12:26 PM
Cyber Tech Help Moderator

Hi mike bio,

Good chance this would more likely be an issue needing help with the Linux (using LILO to set up the boot commands). Why not check out the Sticky's available at the CTH Linux forum Here. You can also post this question there for more help.