Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Hardware > Hardware

Notices

Hardware Use this board for problem solving and the discussion of Computer Hardware issues

Topic Tools
Old February 23rd, 2007, 04:19 AM

Post copy all files on hard drive to another

i dont know if i posted this in the right thread but is there software where i can copy all the files if possible even the operating system or without it would be fine another thing the one drive i have as the master now has 8 gb the one i have as the slave has 80 gb which is why i wanna use the 80 gb as the master will that make my old pc faster? a little bit? the 8 gb drive has 657mb left on it unused. the 80 gig has 57 gb's left free on it would it matter that ive already used this hard drive? someone please helpme with this it is vety important i need my pc somewhat faster does anyone know software along with this that would help speed up my pc but i want the software or web site that would help me with the hard drive!!

Last edited by cuzzo07; February 23rd, 2007 at 04:28 AM.
Old February 23rd, 2007, 05:17 AM
CTH Subscriber

This would be easier to read if you used periods, and paragraphs instead for running everything together.

But what you need is some software to partition the drive into two drives. Such as Partition Magic. Then you need Acronis True Image or Norton Ghost to clone your 8gb drive to the new partition. You can't just copy stuff over.

And whether the new drive will make the computer faster or not, not really. You didn't post what your system specs are so it's hard to tell you what that would entail to speed it up. More memory, faster processor would speed it up. Post your computer specs and we can help further.
Old February 24th, 2007, 06:36 PM

my computer specs are:

IBM Aptiva 2170
450 Mhz AMD Processor
Seagate 8gb with about 650mb free as master
Brand new Western Digital 80gb with about 67gb free as slave
windows Xp

I have to partition the 80gb hard drive into two and clone the 8gb on the new partition?
Old February 24th, 2007, 07:30 PM
CTH Subscriber

You don't necessarily have to partition the 80gb. Partitioning only makes for better and easier system files management. And the reason your system is slow is because you have a 450Mhz processor with Windows xp installed. Unless you plan on changing/building a new computer it will always be slow. Changing drives won't make it faster.