Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Hardware > Hardware

Notices

Hardware Use this board for problem solving and the discussion of Computer Hardware issues

Topic Tools
Old June 18th, 2005, 06:28 PM

Fan Noise too loud

Hello. Any suggestions on how I can easily cut down on my fan noise? It sounds like there is a lawn mower in here. Please tell me I can just buy a new fan for my processor... or maybe it's the PSU that's so loud. Thanks!
Old June 18th, 2005, 06:34 PM

i would get that looked at.... usually when that happens, it means dust is startin to build up or somethin like that, and it will burn out if it works to hard... my suggest is openin ya computer casidy, and see if its dusty or not... but no worries, if it does break down, i new fan for the computer dont cost much... but if it does go out, get a new fan right away, you dont want to run computers without the fan.... computer will get out and it might damage your computer after awhile... also your computer has a themonoter, and it will shut off your computer automatically if it gets to hot.. that can be annoying, trust me.. especially after every 10 minutes... goodluck
Old June 18th, 2005, 06:38 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Linux
If your CPU fan is loud, you can replace it, but make sure you buy one that is as good or better than your current one as far as the volume of air it moves, you don't want to have a burnt up CPU because you wanted to save a few decibels.

If the PSU fan is loud, you can replace those fairly easy in most models, but be very careful if you do this. A power supply can store enough electricity to produce a fatal zap if you aren't careful. I never recommend anyone take apart a power supply on their own unless they are professionals (I won't do it myself, not worth the risk).

Otherwise, case fans, make sure they are positioned sensibly and that the air flows one direction, not opposing itself in any way. Opposing airflow can cause unnecessary stress on the fans which can cause them to become louder, especially over time. Search Google for tips on how to set up fans for the best airflow possible.

Oh, and also check for dust in the fans. That can be a huge factor if it gets out of control.