Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Linux

Notices

Linux Problem solving for all open source distributions of Linux, such as Debian/Ubuntu, Fedora, RedHat, Suse, Mandriva and other proprietary unixes such as Solaris, SGI Irix. Newbie friendly too!

Topic Tools
Old June 30th, 2010, 12:50 PM

Don't update Ubuntu until you read this

Today's update seems to have a major bug -- can't download pix using the usual mouse method.

"Save file" hangs as a blank dialog box with no opportunity to put in a file name or location.

Happened to me using both Firefox and Opera.

When I tried to shut down the browser, I got an error message about a file lock, don't know what it meant.

What is the bug reporting procedure, does someone on this board have juice with Canonical, and what are the chances this stuff gets fixed? Right now I have a hefty paperweight, and who knows what other bugs are in the mix?

Last edited by Total Noob; June 30th, 2010 at 12:52 PM. Reason: correction
Old June 30th, 2010, 01:39 PM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
Well, you might want to tell us which 'distro' you are using - e.g. I'm on 9.10 at the moment, and likely 'buggy' updates may be applicable to just one of the many Linux/Ubuntu distributions.

Concerning reporting bugs, the Ubuntu Forums is extremely active w/ many experienced users - a solution may already be posted there? Also check this Site HERE for reporting bugs.

Good luck -

Last edited by giradman; June 30th, 2010 at 05:56 PM. Reason: minor typos
Old June 30th, 2010, 03:34 PM

Followup

Quote:
Originally Posted by giradman View Post
Well, you might want to tell us which 'distro' you are using - e.g. I'm on 9.10 at the moment, and likely 'buggy' updates may be applicable to just one of the many Linus/Ubuntu distributions.
Yes, for sure. It is 10.4

Quote:
Originally Posted by giradman View Post
Concerning reporting bugs, the Ubuntu Forums is extremely active w/ many experience users - a solution may already be posted there? Also check this Site HERE for reporting bugs.

Good luck -
Thanks.
Old June 30th, 2010, 06:59 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Linux
Quote:
Originally Posted by Total Noob View Post
Today's update seems to have a major bug -- can't download pix using the usual mouse method.

"Save file" hangs as a blank dialog box with no opportunity to put in a file name or location.

Happened to me using both Firefox and Opera.

When I tried to shut down the browser, I got an error message about a file lock, don't know what it meant.

What is the bug reporting procedure, does someone on this board have juice with Canonical, and what are the chances this stuff gets fixed? Right now I have a hefty paperweight, and who knows what other bugs are in the mix?
you are saying since you are having a problem than nobody should download ubuntu updates until they read about YOUR problem. And you are calling it a major bug????? I am not having that problem and mine was updated today.

anyway you can boot to your ubuntu cd to try a repair. http://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/howto-b...x-rescue-mode/

Last edited by renegade600; June 30th, 2010 at 07:24 PM.
Old June 30th, 2010, 07:43 PM

Renegade:

When I complained about an upgrade that did some damage with no advance warning, you said this.

Quote:
you said you did the upgrade automatically, if this is really the case, then there is nobody to blame but youself. Your settings should be set so you can review all updates before the system installs those updates. If you chose not to review updates before installing then what can they do? It was your decision!!

Like with any software, you need to do your own research before installing anything to see if it meets your requirements, if there were problems with the distro/updates, etc...
Now that it happened again and I am doing my due diligence to tell others that they may suffer the same fate, you criticize that.

It's not right. The distros are mostly done by and for amateurs and everybody has to communicate so we are on the same page, not chastise each other for keeping silent about problems.

I'm glad your update worked, but as I have been told, not every distro will work on every computer, it isn't designed to be that way, and maybe not enough beta testing is done, or maybe I had different updates than you because of what optional programs are installed.

In any event, it is better than we know than don't.
Old June 30th, 2010, 08:04 PM
CTH Subscriber

so what does that have to do with the current major issue you are having. any software updates you installed whether it be microsoft, linux, apple or whatever could always have some issue on some computer. They do not always work because of the computer setup, computer hardware, user knowledge or whatever. that is why there are so many help forums. In other words, it is NOT JUST a linux problems if updates does not work properly on some system.

based on all of your posts about linux, I am wondering why you even bother to install it. you are reminding me of microsoft employees who back in the 90's who would go to different online forums on fidonet and complain about other operating systems and all the problems they were having. Their actions though based on lies killed several promising operating systems and microsofts early competition.
Old July 1st, 2010, 08:55 AM

Guys,
I am using 10.4 with ALL updates. I just now went to a random site (google picture select <enter> right clicked, save image) and yes it saved and will open and close at will.
*Begins to wonder................................
Old July 1st, 2010, 09:49 AM

Another small but important point re bugs in updates is that in the most part by the time you find the problem it has been fixed and included in the new update. End of story every body happy
Old July 1st, 2010, 12:12 PM

well I use 10.04 everyday this PC duul boots 10.04 and I am not having problems and I havent been prompted to update as yet.

If I have problems I just boot into my other 10.04 partiton and use that for a few days to give them time to fix whatever it is that needs fixing

I use firefox and Arora as a second browser not that its good but it doesnt conflict with firefox and its light and it gets little use

Minimum specs are not ideal specs

Ive learnt to be ruthless and throw out all the early P4 stuff with SD RAM as I.8 GIG CPU is about max with SD RAM
Old July 1st, 2010, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by renegade600 View Post
In other words, it is NOT JUST a linux problems if updates does not work properly on some system.

based on all of your posts about linux, I am wondering why you even bother to install it. you are reminding me of microsoft employees who back in the 90's who would go to different online forums on fidonet and complain about other operating systems and all the problems they were having.
1. I didn't say it was a Linux problem -- I said it was an Ubuntu problem. Anyway, I had the same problem this morning when I woke up, so it wasn't a reboot issue, and then I found an update notice on screen that popped up while I was surfing. Long and short I installed the update, and the problem was resolved.

So maybe I was the squeaky wheel, I don't know. In any event, the bug is dead.

2. I am not a Microsoft employee and I don't have any loyalty to them. In fact, it still owes me $12 on the antitrust class action suit.

Nor to IBM, HP, Apple or other companies likely to come up with OS's; in fact I don't like any of them, all of them have screwed me up at one time or another.

On the other hand, I have stock in Google which relies on Linux for its coming Chrome OS and it is a big fan of Open Source; why would I want to screw that up?

So don't judge me or my motives.

Fact is, I just like being the squeaky wheel. Good stuff happens when people complain in good faith and others notice and fix. As one of the few not-under-the-hood Linux end users, I think my comments are particularly helpful because the mom-and-pop Linux distributors don't hear much from casual end users since they can't afford focus groups like Apple and Microsoft.

Last edited by Total Noob; July 1st, 2010 at 03:11 PM. Reason: spelling error
Old July 2nd, 2010, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Fact is, I just like being the squeaky wheel. Good stuff happens when people complain in good faith and others notice and fix. As one of the few not-under-the-hood Linux end users, I think my comments are particularly helpful because the mom-and-pop Linux distributors don't hear much from casual end users since they can't afford focus groups like Apple and Microsoft.
Total Noob.
I believe you to be totally wrong and think that you would be well served to take a look at the whole Linux (therefore Ubuntu) history and philosophy. We are a community of individuals with a common interest. What Canonical, Oracle or Microsoft do has very little influence on us personally
The things you say are not helpful in any way shape or form and are usually quite incorrect.
You are of course entitled to an opinion but if you continue to express it in such a seemingly negative manner you may find that all achieve is a place on a ignore list of people who have a potential be to be an enormous help to you in the future. This is true of the entire Linux community not just here. If you do not believe me go to IRC/FREENODE/#UBUNTU and try a rant there.... Set your timer to see how long before you are booted..
Old July 3rd, 2010, 09:57 AM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows 10 Home
Quote:
Fact is, I just like being the squeaky wheel. Good stuff happens when people complain in good faith and others notice and fix.
But you are complaining in the wrong place, there is a bug fix board, and just because you had a problem it does not mean that there is a problem with the update. It could just mean that you have some faulty hardware, that has created a problem with your update.

Creating fear amongst users is not a recipe for 'Good stuff happening'. A better method would have been to report a bug after you had posted on this or another forum, "My system running 'XYZ' now fails when I do 'GHJ'. I have just updated to 'MNO', please help." And had it confirmed by other users that they are experiencing the same symptoms, after the same update.
Old July 3rd, 2010, 10:06 AM

Too true Ned,
Old July 7th, 2010, 05:09 AM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows 10 Home
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ned Seagoon View Post
I have just updated to 'MNO', please help."
Ned, I did upgrade to MNO and needed help with it, a Google search found this (and only this) post thread! I'd ask Jaytee for help but all he ever wants is a free beer for helping me, and I do have a reputation to keep up!! I'd ask that thar AnnMarie for help, but to be honest I don't think she has or ever owned a computer in her life, I reckon she uses cyber cafes to post here and although a few of her help replies may sound good, she really just "winging" it with the answers!

*hiding behind Harrie*
Old July 7th, 2010, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lufbra View Post
Ned, I did upgrade to MNO and needed help with it, a Google search found this (and only this) post thread! I'd ask Jaytee for help but all he ever wants is a free beer for helping me, and I do have a reputation to keep up!! I'd ask that thar AnnMarie for help, but to be honest I don't think she has or ever owned a computer in her life, I reckon she uses cyber cafes to post here and although a few of her help replies may sound good, she really just "winging" it with the answers!

*hiding behind Harrie*
I think you are looking for a major hiding there Dave. Luckily AM does not venture into the Linux forums as she is a devoted Windows sys user <ahem>