Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows XP

Notices

Windows XP Problem solving for the Windows XP Operating System

Topic Tools
Old May 3rd, 2011, 04:06 PM

O/S: Linux
Question Does someone have to run defrag & a reg cleaner on each account or just one?

Hi.

Does someone have to run defrag (i.e. IO Smart Defrag) and a reg cleaner (i.e. the one in CCleaner) on 1 account (the PC has 3 user accounts) or all 3?
Old May 4th, 2011, 04:12 PM

O/S: Windows 7 32-bit
Just run it on one account & it applies to all of them, but we don't recommend the use of any registry cleaners as they can do more harm than good.

Defrag is fine
The "Cleaner" module of Ccleaner is fine too, just don't use it's registry cleaner.

Leaving redundant entries in the Registry will not do any harm or slow down your PC so it's not worth the risk of running a reg cleaner on it as it may remove something vital.

Items should only be removed from the Registry if you are instructed to do so by a member of our malware team in order to clean up a malware infection,
or to correct a specific error that's caused by something in the Registry. Otherwise leave it alone.

Last edited by pip22; May 4th, 2011 at 04:14 PM.
Old May 4th, 2011, 05:42 PM

Thank you pip22 for the info and warning re reg cleaning.
Old May 6th, 2011, 07:04 PM

I disagree, Ever since I started using Tuneup Utilities registry cleaner I have not had system slow down problems where I used to reformat my drive every 6 months or so. If the registry cleaner you use is a good one, it will not cause problems. I have cleaned my registry with tuneup utilities must be 1000's of times and have never had a problem. As a matter of fact I can now run a system for 5 or 6 years without any slow downs. Also many of the PC Magazines and help sites recommend registry cleaners , you just have to be aware that there are some out there that do too much, and make you do the choosing of what to remove (Ccleaner for one) and if you remove the wrong stuff it can cause problems. Tuneup Utilities is very good at making the choices for you and keeping your registry clean makes for a happy system. Here is a link to a free older version of Tuneup Utilities (2008) I actually prefer it to the newer ones but I do disable the 1-click Maintenance since I do not like it doing things without my knowing.

http://www.mydigitallife.info/free-t...serial-number/

This is not a cracked version, its actually a give away from Tuneup and the serials are valid. I really appreciate a company that allows you to use their older versions for free and hopes you buy the new one. I wish all companies would do that. That site is a good place to look for freebee's just watch out for spam when you have to give up your e-mail to get them. I prefer to either use a disposable e-mail (they have a link to one there as well, look thru the first 4 or 5 pages) or to only download stuff that doesn't require an e-mail. As a matter of fact I always try using a fake e-mail first to see if they give the serial without it. Often they will take a fake e-mail and then open a page with the serial right after signing up. If you have to give up a real e-mail expect to see ads from them in your inbox.

Last edited by Appzalien; May 6th, 2011 at 07:07 PM.
Old May 7th, 2011, 02:23 PM

O/S: Windows 7 32-bit
"Also many of the PC Magazines and help sites recommend registry cleaners"

Please don't give misleading information as there are also many forums that definitely do not recommend them. You have only succeeded in confusing the OP. The bottom line is that registry cleaning is uneccessary & risky, so it always safer not to do it. Cleaning the Registry does not improve computer performance.

Last edited by pip22; May 7th, 2011 at 02:25 PM.
Old May 8th, 2011, 01:14 AM

Your wrong of course, Just because you say its so doesn't make it so. Almost every app out there, including graphics applications and drivers leave junk behind when you uninstall them. If you do not clean the registry of unused junk it WILL slow down your system.

Before you get angry at my comments here read this:

http://rdelacruz.dnsip.net/rayzine/i...egistry-or-not

And I would ask Megatron to read it too. And to answer your question as asked, as far as I know its no, defrag is definately universal across all accounts because the deframentation is done on the entire disk and I believe a registry cleaner may also be. But a registry cleaner run from one account may look only for items that effect that account, so perhaps a registry cleaner from your perspective will not effect or delete entries from anothers installations.
The only way to find out for sure would be to check the registry with one account but not remove anything just close it out and then run it again from another account and see if the same things pop up. If you run the registry cleaner from the second account several times until nothing shows up anymore and its clean, and then go into the first one and run it again, if nothing shows there than it was run across accounts and if the same things show then each is on its own. Make sense?
Old May 8th, 2011, 09:21 AM

Thank you Appzalien for posting the Tuneup Utilities registry cleaner keys.

Also thank you pip22 for the advice.

I am undecided as to use a registry cleaner or not. It is usually better to stay on the side of caution though.
Old May 8th, 2011, 02:42 PM

Like I said, I used to format and reinstall every 6 months or so. It wasn't until I started using Tuneup Utilities 2004 to keep my registry clean (along with defragging and using a file wiper [bcwipe last free version] to keep my free space clear) that I can go years and years without slowing down. Even that article I posted says the same thing. pip22 might be wary of registry cleaners and there are bad ones out there but Tuneup Utilities has never messed up my system (except its 1-click Maintenance [2004 version] once deleted my Acronis backup images from my D drive during its drive cleaning, but nothing to do with the registry, so I turn it off). I don't like any app doing things without my knowledge. If you take the chance you will not be sorry, Tuneup is one of the best registry cleaners out there in my opinion and I would even challenge pip22 to give it a try. I usually run it every month or so but I also run it after uninstalling applications. If your nervous about it you can preview what it finds in the left pain and uncheck anything that you do not like.
I do not let Steam connect to the net without my permission, and do not let it start with windows. Often a Steam shortcut shows up as a useless shortcut during reg cleaning and originally I used to uncheck it. But since then I have found that its ok to remove it, it will just recreate itself next time I run Steam. Tuneup Utilities has never removed anything that caused me problems and its at the point now that I don't even look on the left I just let it clean and often (especially when it finds activex controls) it can take several passes.

Tuneup utilities has many other features as well, so even if you do not like registry cleaners (and you can let 1-click maintenance run and just uncheck the registry cleaner too) you'll find it to be a very useful app. Well worth paying for in my opinion and if I trusted paypal I would buy it, too bad its not in the stores that I have seen.

Last edited by Appzalien; May 8th, 2011 at 02:48 PM.
Old May 9th, 2011, 09:30 AM

Well Appzalien, I guess the proof is in the pudding. You are right in saying there are many reg cleaners that are dodgy, you found a gem of a one though in Tuneup Utilities.
Old May 11th, 2011, 02:57 PM

Question

I notice that different programs clean up various amounts of files.

I ran these in XP inside VirtualBox.

CCleaner found 1 entry while Glary found 40! http://i.imgur.com/VAQwr.gif

TuneUp Utilities 2008 found almost 2MB http://i.imgur.com/2wgNk.gif