Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Hardware > Hardware

Notices

Hardware Use this board for problem solving and the discussion of Computer Hardware issues

Topic Tools
Old May 15th, 2008, 08:17 PM

laptop power supply - surge protection

hey glad to see this community still thriving, last time i logged in was about 3 years ago..

anyhow i've done a bit of reading on the usefulness of surge protectors after having experienced one first hand resulting in a large bang/pop and some smoke, still not sure what the root cause was but it took out 3-4 computers connected to the same row of wall sockets on one side of the building. Every valuable electronic device should have one!

I have a sony vaio s4/z series laptop and it came with a AC19v10 adapter, but i've been informed by the sony style sales department that the newer AC19v12 are completely compatible. He also strongly advised any universal power adapter and against non-genuine sony adapter for use with any vaio, i'll take his word for it just need to track one down.

My laptop survived because the adapter kept goin off and i was in the process of trouble shooting what the deal was, during this time it was connected to the mains (UK) but NOT connected to my laptop otherwise i think i would have lost he motherboard

I have a belkin surge protector that should have restrained any extra voltage/current, it claims to take up to 6,500Amps. I'm not sure it worked.

I want to get a circuit breaker or at least another surge protector with a built in fuse so next time it would just cut off if the current went beyond what it could deal with, as seems to be the case.

------------- in short - the problem -----------------------------------------

The sony ac 19.5v adapter for my laptop had two bangs/pops and some smoke before i quickly unplugged it. Am i correct in thinking these bangs were fuses? Also had a belkin surge protector that seem to do f'all.

Plugged the adapter in afterwards and the light still comes on, so it means its working? Does anyone know anything (to be used at my own risk) on whether it is safe to carry on using the adapter? also how can i get a technical answer from sony?

thanks for reading and any help will be much appreciated.
Old May 16th, 2008, 06:17 PM

okay it turns out the adapter is broken, i didnt want to risk it at first but did in the end. The light comes on but as soon as i plugged it into the laptop to charge the battery it would go out. probably just needs the fuse replacing but i've ordered a new adapter anyway.

i found out its important not to wrap the cable around the adapter it self as any knots, bumps in the wire etc. can cause problems. In this instance it was something to do with the wiring in the building as there was another failure this afternoon. All in all guess i was quite lucky.