Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows XP

Notices

Windows XP Problem solving for the Windows XP Operating System

Topic Tools
Old June 30th, 2003, 04:52 AM

Exclamation Error Loading operating system :(

Hi All,
I am hoping someone can help me with an issue I am having installing XP Pro. I just build a new system for my Dad and when I installed XP, it froze during the NTFS format. I let it sit for 12 hours just to make sure it was frozen. At any rate, I rebooted........Now when I start the machine to try and install XP, I get an error that reads "Error loading operating system"... I can't boot the CD....I can't do anything except get to Bios.
If anyone can tell me how to re-install over, or get rid of the bungled install on the hard drive, I would be GREATLY appreciative. Thanks for your help!

Decaman
Old June 30th, 2003, 04:57 AM

more info

P.S. The machine I put together for my Dad is an FIC Ice Box SFF... I went to the site and I think the Bios are the latest available... Please let me know if any more info is needed...

Thanks,

Decaman
Old June 30th, 2003, 05:11 AM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows XP Pro
If you can boot from floppy drive, boot from a startup disk (such as WIN98 startup disk), choose to start WITHOUT CDROM SUPPORT and invoke FDISK at the A: prompt. Choose to Delete partition or logical DOS drive, then choose to Delete Non-DOS partition (I'm assuming the current partition will show up as a Non-DOS partition). Follow further prompts to delete this partition.

You could then Create a Primary DOS partition, then run XP install and format this partition, or try running XP install and create the new partition, format it, etc. from within Setup.

If you're still unable to boot from the CD after having cleaned the hard drive of the partition, you could either boot from the WIN98 startup disk, navigate to the i386 folder on the XP install CD and then run WINNT.EXE, or d/load the file to create the set of six setup floppy disks for WINXP.

Last edited by GretaP; June 30th, 2003 at 05:13 AM.
Old June 30th, 2003, 12:09 PM

GretaP,
Thanks so much for your prompt response! I really appreciate it. I will try your suggestion and post later with the results. Again, thank you.

Decaman
Old June 30th, 2003, 03:02 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows XP Pro
You're very welcome, Decaman, and please do post back with the results.