Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows XP

Notices

Windows XP Problem solving for the Windows XP Operating System

Topic Tools
Old May 9th, 2011, 05:22 AM

O/S: Windows Vista
Angry Lost connection

Hardware - Dell Dimension 5100, 2g memory
OS - XP Enterprise SP2

This may be an IE8 issue or XP - not sure so I'm starting here.

History first -
I recently uninstalled NetNanny from my desktop PC. I started having problems as soon as I started to remove the program. I had a valid administrator password all set according to ContentWatch's home page. I went to the edit/remove programs and went to remove the program. A command screen popped up for a second then disappeared...tried again (at least 3 times) - same thing. Never had a setup box appear. So I visited their website to see what the problem was - no help - never answered my request for help...ended up on a blog site about removing Net Nanny and others have had the exact same problem. A moderator gave instructions for a manual removal. I checked on 4 other help sites to confirm the instructions (I'm a very trusting person.) I did the manual removal,regedit scan and It was gone. That's when the fun began and why I am here.

When I rebooted the computer, I got an error message about cwtray (which is part of the content watch - that had been deleted) and my wireless connection was disabled. Could not get the wireless back up. Found a solution for that - ipconfig/release and renew. I also downloaded a autorun program from one of the help sites that finished removing the content watch and net nanny errors.

I thought it was all done except - now I can't get IE8 to connect. I have 5 bars showing on my wireless - but IE8 says it can't connect because internet connection is disabled - do you want to work offline? I uninstalled then reinstalled IE but I still get the same error. Keeps telling me I have no ISP connection and then it tries to dial up. I also tried the same process with the ethernet cable - same result.

I'm ready to do a complete reinstall and factory reset process of the XP (I've already backed up everything off the drive and I can't afford the upgrade costs to Vista or 7).

Suggestions?

smurf
Old May 9th, 2011, 03:40 PM

Have you tried re-running the network setup wizard or the new connection wizard in control panel > network settings? If you dig deep down into those settings you might find something that's disabled (TC/IP filtering?). Probably Net Nanny is protecting itself so some kid can't just uninstall it and then re install before daddy gets home. That may be why you also get no response from them, for all they know your a kid trying to beat their system.
Old May 9th, 2011, 06:37 PM

O/S: Windows Vista
ISP/ICP/Internet Connection Wizzard

Yes - I walked through the connection wizard. In fact, I deleted the both network connections (wireless and LAN) and then reinstalled each. The wireless came right back to full function but the LAN keeps trying to use a dial-up process. I followed the steps I have been given so far - anything deeper may be beyond my skills o.O

At an impasse.

smurf