Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows 95

Notices

Windows 95 Problem solving for the Windows 95 Operating System

Topic Tools
Old May 3rd, 2015, 01:42 AM

What is the Com A error when booting PC

I am rebuilding a very old computer, but was cutting edge when it was built by Intergraph in the mid 1990's. I was fortunate that I purchased it for a very good deal as I was an employer with Intergraph at the time. I am rebuilding or reviving it because I will give it to my Father [don't ask, but it will be perfect for him and to lure him out to the internet]. When I set it up for my Father it will used as a standalone workstation in his home office. I started reconfiguring it on Thursday, April 30th because my 2nd oldest computer's - WinXP Home - HDD crashed and I am waiting for the manufacturer's warranty to send the replace HDD. I saw a challenge when I saw my old ICS-TD25 sitting tucked away under my desk, but elevated off the floor. I tried installing Win98 and WinNT with the emergency repair disks; the computer would power up, permit me to initiate the installation of each OS, but when it rebooted neither OS would appear. I would receive a message that my computer has "No OS Installed". I finally pulled out the old user manuals , but it did not provide any additional information. However, I remembered my ICS-TD25 came with Win95. I found the original old Win95 Boot Disk and I found the original Sound Blaster SB16 CDROM. To my surprise I was able to reinstall Win95, but with a few problems that I am still troubleshooting.

What is the Com A error when booting PC?
Old May 3rd, 2015, 01:51 AM

I forgot to mention that I cannot login to safe mode! I don't know why? I need to know if I could install Windows 98 and then Windows 98 Second Edition over Win 95? I thought that Win 98 and Win98Se was really a major fix to Win95. In the past I had this TD-25 dual-boot with WinNT4.0. If I could install Windows 98SE over the Win 95 & Win 98, I would like to do that option. Open to advice and best options for the old TD-25
Old May 3rd, 2015, 02:45 AM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
Com A error when booting PC?

You need to get into the BIOS SETUP, older computers usually the "Del" key or sometimes the first screen tells you which key to hit.

Com=Communications can be a modem error, serial port error, printing port error.

https://support.intergraph.com/itser.../dha022440.pdf

This is a manual I found.

Hit DEL to enter BIOS Setup

Under Peripheral you will see OnBoard Serial Port, if your not using a serial port (say for printer) then disable them.

1. To run Windows 98 you will need drivers and they may be hard to find.

2. If the Windows 98 is the "Full Version" then you cannot just upgrade, you would have to format and install Windows 98 as a clean install.

3. If you have enough space on the drive (A 2nd partition) you could dual boot 95/98.
Old May 3rd, 2015, 03:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf View Post
Com A error when booting PC?

You need to get into the BIOS SETUP, older computers usually the "Del" key or sometimes the first screen tells you which key to hit.

Com=Communications can be a modem error, serial port error, printing port error.

https://support.intergraph.com/itser.../dha022440.pdf

This is a manual I found.

Hit DEL to enter BIOS Setup

Under Peripheral you will see OnBoard Serial Port, if your not using a serial port (say for printer) then disable them.

1. To run Windows 98 you will need drivers and they may be hard to find.

2. If the Windows 98 is the "Full Version" then you cannot just upgrade, you would have to format and install Windows 98 as a clean install.

3. If you have enough space on the drive (A 2nd partition) you could dual boot 95/98.
Murf, Thank you for your quick response, neighbor - I am in NOVA - and link to manual: you pushed me look for my copy because it did look familiar, but maybe I am confusing that manual with the original monitor manual. The original monitor died nearly 10 years ago. I have to check that out-of-reach box. Yes I was correct I have the Operating Instructions for the Digital Multi-Scan Color Display (MDSP14901) [that was a beast of a monitor]! I will have to read the manual that you found at that old Intergraph support site. I have been able to get into the PhoenixBIOS Setup Utility, but now with the manual that you found gives me a better chance. I opened my Command DOS prompt earlier because I was working on some of the audio; I wanted to check the version of DOS and when I am at the [C:] and enter <VER> I only receive a Windows version and not a DOS version.
Old May 3rd, 2015, 03:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldBit2K15 View Post
Murf, Thank you for your quick response, neighbor - I am in NOVA - and link to manual: you pushed me look for my copy because it did look familiar, but maybe I am confusing that manual with the original monitor manual. The original monitor died nearly 10 years ago. I have to check that out-of-reach box. Yes I was correct I have the Operating Instructions for the Digital Multi-Scan Color Display (MDSP14901) [that was a beast of a monitor]! I will have to read the manual that you found at that old Intergraph support site. I have been able to get into the PhoenixBIOS Setup Utility, but now with the manual that you found gives me a better chance. I opened my Command DOS prompt earlier because I was working on some of the audio; I wanted to check the version of DOS and when I am at the [C:] and enter <VER> I only receive a Windows version and not a DOS version.
I thought that would be the correct manual, but I think it is for a different system. I found my "TD-2x, TD-22x System Guide, document number DHA022040".
Old May 7th, 2015, 07:40 PM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
Sorry not back sooner. Windows is basically MSDOS so you will get Windows version when typing ver. MS-DOS is still used in embedded x86 systems. The command line interpreter of NT-based versions of Windows is CMD.EXE which maintains most of the same commands and some compatibility with DOS batch files.

Basically Windows 3.11, 95, 98 ME has Windows layered on top of DOS
Windows NT to Windows 7 it isn't layered and can run DOS applications by virtue of what is called NT Virtual DOS Machine (NTVDM) which is a virtual machine that runs on top of Windows NT rather than the other way around.

Win 98 should install as the minimum requirements are:
  • 486DX 66 megahertz (MHz) or faster processor
  • 16 megabytes (MB) of memory (24 MB recommended)
  • A typical upgrade from Windows 95 requires approximately 195 MB of free hard disk space, but the hard disk space may range from between 120 MB and 295 MB, depending on your computer configuration and the options that you choose to install.
  • A full install of Windows 98 on a FAT16 drive requires 225 MB of free hard disk space, but may range from between 165 MB and 355 MB, depending on your computer configuration and that options that you choose to install.
  • A full install of Windows 98 on a FAT32 drive requires 175 MB of free hard disk space, but may range from between 140 MB and 255 MB, depending on your computer configuration and the options that you choose to install.