Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Windows 10

Notices

Windows 10 Problem solving for the Windows 10 Operating System.

Topic Tools
Old March 18th, 2021, 03:54 AM

Windows locking up and other issues

Hi, I'm having some odd issues that might be hardware related or software related I'm not sure.

I'm pretty decent at tracking down issues usually but this one has me stumped. Rather than waste a lot of time eliminating possibilities I thought I would post and see if anyone had some insight that could point me in the right direction.

At first, I was having some graphics issues while gaming or video editing that would cause the programs to crash. I checked the event log and the only entry seemed to be an Nvidia driver issue. After trying several suggestions for the entry online including uninstalling and reinstalling a new driver I pulled the 2 GPU's and tried running each separately. The driver issue seemed to go away but new issues started.

A couple of times a week now Ill turn on my 2 monitors and the display port monitor will be disconnected with no source and the computer is unresponsive. I tried swapping ports and switched to HDMI and it still happens. I also tried swapping cards and swapping PCI slots with it continuing to happen. So seems not related to the card or slot.

What is also happening is sometimes explorer seems to freeze up where I can move a window or min/max it but then it becomes unresponsive. If I'm watching a video the audio continues but the video freezes. I can open task manager and reboot but it just hangs on the restarting/shutting down screen.

In both cases, I can only resolve the issue by hitting the power button and rebooting.

I thought maybe it was a memory issue so I ran memtest and it went fine. tried antiviral software and Malwarebytes all came back clean.

There is a lot of hardware and tests I could run to try and test components but it could end up in several directions and end with just replacing parts.

If anyone has a suggestion or thinks they know what a good direction to start working on that would be great.

Thanks
Old March 18th, 2021, 09:24 AM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Linux
need the full model number of the computer
Old March 18th, 2021, 09:27 PM

sorry there is no model number it's a custom built PC running latest win 10.
Old March 20th, 2021, 07:37 PM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
You are using two graphic cards in the PCI slots? How are they bridged? ATI -AMD-Geforce cards? Both the same? Model numbers?
Old March 21st, 2021, 02:03 AM

The original problem occurred while there were 2 GPU's bridged. All the other problems occur with one card.
As mentioned I've tried each card separately as well as in different PCI slots to rule out the cards as an issue. Now I realize that the GPU could still be the issue but resulting problems continue to happen no matter the combination of GPU or PCI slot.

They are two identical 660TI cards properly bridged in SLI.

I tried each card individually in all 4 16x PCI slots and the same issues happen.

The cards are getting old but it seems unlikely both cards could be faulty when used individually or all 4 PCI slots could be faulty. So that made me think maybe software issues or some other hardware.

I was going to try a software ram tester to see if under load there were any memory issues with the sticks.

If its a software issue I would just wipe the computer but If thats not the issue I don't want to waste the time.