Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Hardware > Hardware

Notices

Hardware Use this board for problem solving and the discussion of Computer Hardware issues

Topic Tools
Old January 16th, 2008, 03:53 PM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
Third master hard disk error, press F1 to resume.

Hi, I just have a couple of questions. One of my computers was acting strange lately, making clicking noises, showing "CPU Overtemperature" Message, and I just press F1 and it loaded and everything (I researched it, and I think the fan isn't good enough). But then it got worse, I cant seem to turn it on, it shows "Third Master Hard Disk Error, Press F1 to resume." Message, after that it asks to put in a cd to boot off of. So I'm thinking ok, DAMN!!! I had tons of files, programs, my mom's banking files are on the damn hard drive! So my whole family's going nuts, trying to find out who was the last to use the computer and everything.

So whatever I load the Windows Xp cd in there and it boots, and guess what none of the options work both set up windows now or repair, nothing works it says it cant find the hard drive. Ok?! So I research some more, find out that the clicking noises might have something to do with the harddrive.

Now I'm stuck, cant really do much. Please help! I do know that my hard drive is a ATA Sata WD1600, 160GB I also know that there is a way of getting the drivers for that, and putting it on floppy and pressing F6 during the XP boot. Im not sure where to look for the driver, besides that WD1600 isnt really helpful. Can someone please point me in the right direction, maybe I could still somehow get the data that is on that hard drive. My computers been off for like a week, because I dont know what to do. Thank you.
Old January 16th, 2008, 05:19 PM
CTH Subscriber

How is the harddrive connected to the computer? SATA and ATA are two different types of harddrives. Is this SATA or ATA/IDE?
SATA use a small thin usually red cable, ATA use a flat gray cable.
Old January 16th, 2008, 05:37 PM

It's a red cable. So I'm guessing it's a SATA.
Old January 16th, 2008, 06:40 PM

Open the case and check to ensure the SATA cable is fully attached, they will come loose, even a bump to the tower can cause it.

When you first boot get into SETUP (screen tells you what to use-usually a "F" key or DEL key)

Is the hard drive listed????
Old January 17th, 2008, 06:10 AM

not at all, whenever I try to either repair or install a fresh copy of winxp it tells me that there is no hard disk drive all i can do is quit. It's not disconnected at all, I tried searching for drivers but i couldnt find any, I read somewhere that if you can get the right drivers for the hard drive you can put it on a floppy and press F6 to install a third party driver and it recognizes your hard disk. How can I find out what driver I need?
Old January 17th, 2008, 06:38 AM
CTH Subscriber

Hi xatrx,

You should be able to download the SATA controller drivers from the motherboard manufacturer's website.
Old January 17th, 2008, 07:01 AM
CTH Subscriber

Beat me here again Greta.......

Yes, you should be able to download the SATA driver from the motherboard manufacturer's website. If, you what motherboard it is, post that info and I'll get you a link.
Old January 17th, 2008, 05:06 PM
CTH Subscriber

Quote:
Beat me here again Greta.......
Old January 22nd, 2008, 02:34 AM

its asus p5gpl-x series i tried getting drivers from there but I couldn't find any and ASUS website is down?!
Old January 22nd, 2008, 06:00 AM
CTH Subscriber

I was able to get into Asus site and to the download section for your computer, but it does not show any separate drivers for the SATA. It does say the SATA controllers are SATA1 not SATA2. So, perhaps the drive's website would have drivers for them.

Do you have the cd that came with the motherboard? If so, the drivers may/are probably on that.
Old January 22nd, 2008, 04:01 PM

Yes, I do. Do I have to extract the drivers somehow or can I just try to load it off the cd while in boot mode? And what is the drive's website?!
Old January 22nd, 2008, 06:06 PM
CTH Subscriber

You need to read your manual so you can know how to install the drivers. Some will work off the motherboard cd, some make you create a bootable floppy or cd.