Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Software > Malware Removal

Notices

Malware Removal Discussion about Trojans, viruses, hoaxes, firewalls, spyware, and general Security issues. If you suspect your PC is infected with a virus, trojan or spyware app please include any supporting documentation or logs

Topic Tools
Old September 10th, 2009, 02:49 AM
Cyber Tech Help Moderator

I just posted in your other new request about one repair getting more attention than the other, but actually this one looks pretty near to finishing up now. Before we do some last cleaning up steps, post back how things are running please. Any problems we still need to correct there?
Old September 10th, 2009, 05:35 AM

Hi Tom,
Thanks so much. Yes, the computer seems to be working fine now. No problems. I guess we're ready for clean up.

Mike
Old September 10th, 2009, 05:34 PM

Good, just a bit of cleaning up now to finish here. You did well there.

You have older and more vulnerable Java version(s) installed there, so need to remove those and update to the latest version of that.

Go here and download the latest version of Sun Java Java Runtime Environment (JRE) JRE 6 Update 16. The current file name for that is jre-6u16-windows-i586-p.exe. I recommend you choose to download the "Windows Offline Installation" by clicking on that file to download it.

When you have done that, Go to Add/Remove Programs in Control Panel and uninstall all versions Java/JRE (Sun Java Runtime Environment/J2SE Runtime Environment) showing below, and reboot after.

Java(TM) 6 Update 13
Java(TM) 6 Update 4
Java(TM) 6 Update 7

Then be sure to disable all security software, and click that downloaded jre-6u16-windows-i586-p.exe to install the latest Java version there, being sure to reboot after.

----------------

For what our work added there, Eset, if you don't plan to use it again, uninstalls through Add/Remove Programs.

You can also at this time delete the files/folders of the tools we used. To assist with some of that you can use OTM one last time.

Click OTM.exe to run it and click on Cleanup. You'll be asked if you want to begin cleanup process? Select Yes.

OTM will search for and delete/uninstall many of the tools that we have used to fix your problems and all their backup folders and then delete itself when you next reboot. At the end of the run you will receive a prompt to reboot, but save that for the next step resetting Restore.

---------

Then reset the System Restore. To do this, right-click My Computer and select Properties. Click the System Restore tab in the window that appears, and check the box that says "Turn off System Restore on all drives" and click Apply.

You will be asked if you are sure, click Yes. This will delete the restore points. Then click OK in the Properties window and reboot your computer.

When your desktop appears, right-click My Computer and select Properties once more. Uncheck the "Turn off System Restore..." box and click Apply. OK.

In addition, I like to recommend reviewing the information Here to make sure you stay malware free.
Old September 12th, 2009, 07:50 PM

OK. All done. Thanks so much.
Old September 13th, 2009, 02:27 AM

One down - glad to have helped.