Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Hardware > Networking

Notices

Networking Use this board for problem solving and the discussion of Networking, router, and Wi-Fi issues

Topic Tools
Old March 20th, 2010, 06:28 PM

Unhappy Laptop hard drive replaced, won’t boot up properly, shuts off in less than few second

My laptop had a problem with the hard drive (or so it seemed because it was unable to load up) What happened with the laptop was I tried to turn it on, the computer will load for a few seconds, then it will turn off. (So it never made even to the Windows logo screen).

My friend took it to the technician and the technician said it was a hard drive failure and needed to buy a new hard drive and install Windows onto it. The technician was going to charge $165 for new hard drive and Windows installation.

I thought $80 for a new hard drive than another $85 for a installation was overpriced. So I ordered the hard drive on my own and planned on replacing the hard drive myself.

So, I replaced the hard drive. What is going on now is that if I press the power button, I see the red light on the power button. Then in less than 5 seconds or so, the computer goes off. There is nothing on the screen during those 5 seconds.

This laptop is quite broken down, the CD Rom sometimes does not work. But regardless, with less than 5 seconds, it was quite hard to even eject the cd-rom. So I am not quite sure how am I supposed to go on and continue with the installation and such if the computer does not even turn itself on.

Now, is this really a hard drive problem or something else? Please help. Thank you very much in advance.

P.S. This post landed in the wrong category... could someone please kindly move it to the correct category. Thank you. I apologize for the problem.