Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Linux

Notices

Linux Problem solving for all open source distributions of Linux, such as Debian/Ubuntu, Fedora, RedHat, Suse, Mandriva and other proprietary unixes such as Solaris, SGI Irix. Newbie friendly too!

Topic Tools
Old April 25th, 2008, 11:37 AM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
newbie in Linux

good day,

i am newbie in linux, can somebody help me on how to do the first step, in installing linux(fedora and red hat). what configuration or parameters do i need to press on when installing this:? pls.

thanks
Old April 25th, 2008, 12:06 PM

First, welcome to the CTH Forum -

You might want to give some more specifics on the 'system' you wish to install Linux on, e.g. computer type/brand, CPU, RAM, etc. - there are many Linux distros (I'm running Ubuntu 7.10 on an IBM laptop w/ 512 MB of RAM; other distros can run on lesser resources); also, there is a new release on Ubuntu 'Hardy Heron' 8.04 that might be a consideration for you - good luck!
Old April 25th, 2008, 02:29 PM

thanks Giradman,

heres my spec ACER aspire 64x, dual core, AMD Athlon, 1GB ram, and ive planning to install fedora 8 that ive downloaded recently in their site. well is this be so to have a dual boot on win XP?i mean is this possible?pls give me a step on how to install it..
thanks
Old April 25th, 2008, 04:01 PM

yes it is possible to dual boot windows xp and fedora 8. i am dual-booting them both on my current pc.

its pretty straight forward...the only part you should have trouble on is partitioning the hard drive.
Old April 25th, 2008, 08:00 PM

thanks tauman but somebody here knows how to install in step by step process.. and i want to know some terminologies like, gnome vs KDE, distro? and a lot more..on how can this be ...basic steps on it...

thanks..
Old April 25th, 2008, 08:33 PM

Well, unless others using Fedora can provide you w/ step-by-step instructions or supply links to specific Fedora websites, I can help only w/ Ubuntu 7.10 (the only Linux system that I've used); for that particular latter distro, there are plenty of sites that outline downloading, installation, dual-booting, and help forum(s) - Fedora likely has similar web-based help - good luck!