Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Hardware > Networking

Notices

Networking Use this board for problem solving and the discussion of Networking, router, and Wi-Fi issues

Topic Tools
Old March 26th, 2005, 01:19 AM

O/S: Windows XP Home
Sharing DSL Internet Connection XP Pro to Windows ME

Howdy CTHer's,
I'm a total novice on the subject of networking, but I want to know how to go about sharing my DSL internet connection between my XP Pro and my 'old' Windows ME PC's...

I already have the DSL connection on the machine with XP, and I want to share it with the old pc that's located about 25 to 30 feet from the XP machine in another room.

I was thinking of going wireless, but I have pretty much everything I need(I think?) in terms of hardware already installed on the XP machine, including the folowing items:

1) my dsl with firewall connection
2) a 1394 Net Adapter (the port for this is marked clearly on the back of my pc--is this what/how I need to connect the 2 pc's together?)
3)Local Area Connection(LAN)

As far as the Windows ME pc is concerned, I was connected to the net via dial-up/56K modem, but never connected it to other pc's previously. I've been reading both the XP and ME info on ICS(internet connection sharing) but all I get is really confused

Can someone tell me exactly what hardware(including cables) I still need, in addition to what's listed above, and how to go about physically hooking up the wires to/from the appropriate hardware on the pc's I want to connect.

Btw, I would like to be able to share files and such between them as well, but mainly want the internet connection. Also, if I can do it 'wireless' without having to spend more than about $100 total for all hardware I'd need, I think that would be better than having 30 feet of cable running down my hallway and across the room

So if anyone can help me with this....or point me to something that gives me complete, (non-confusing) instructions, that would be just wonderful

Thanks!

hmac13
Old March 26th, 2005, 02:52 AM
Cyber Tech Help Moderator

O/S: Windows Vista 64-bit
One quick question. How is your DSL modem connected to the PC (USB or ethernet)?
Old March 26th, 2005, 01:13 PM

ethernet...I think?

Hi z1p!
The DSL modem is connected via a sort of thick looking phone cord...I think to the ethernet card....yes, it says 'ethernet' on the back of my pc

thanks!

hmac13
Old March 26th, 2005, 03:29 PM
Cyber Tech Help Moderator

O/S: Windows Vista 64-bit
Good.... At least in my opinion.

Since it is ethernet, you can put a router between the modem and the PCs. I'd go with a configuration like this:

Modem connected to a router and both PCs connected to the router.

Now you can go either wired or wireless.

For wired you need:
  • router
  • 3 ethernet patch cables
    between modem & router
    between router and XP machine
    between router and ME machine
  • PCI or USB ethernet adapter for ME machine (if it doesn't have one)
for wireless you need:
  • wireless router
  • 2 ethernet patch cables
    between modem and router
    between router and XP machine
  • PCI or USB wireless adapter for ME machine

If you go with wireless, I recommend not getting a wireless 'b' router, they are the old slow wireless. Personally, I have not had good luck with the netgear wireless (but it was their old wireless 'b' that I've had trouble with), I'm sure they are others with a different story.
Old March 26th, 2005, 08:30 PM

Sounds Simple Enough....maybe?

Hi again z1p!

Thanks for all the great info! And for making it so even I can understand it! I just have one (maybe more than 1) question for you...

when you say:

"PCI or USB wireless(or wired) adapter for ME machine"

You do mean 'ethernet card' right?(I told you I'm a novice...lol

Also, do you know if the "1394 Net Adapter" is a wired router ?(it's already installed in the XP machine) Or is it just another type of ethernet adapter/card? I'm just curious as to what the 1394 net adapter is used for if it's not a router or another type of ethernet?--cause the LAN connection is listed as a Realtek Family Fast Ethernet NIC.

Other than that, I think I might just be able to figure this out and get the old pc back online so my boyfriend can play his games.

Thanks for your help

hmac13

PS. Would you happen to know if I'll be able to buy the wirelees items I'll need for $100 or close to that amount? thanks!

Last edited by hmac13; March 26th, 2005 at 08:32 PM. Reason: forgot a question...
Old March 29th, 2005, 11:48 PM

Is this what I need?

Hey z1p!
If you happen to be around this afternoon,(or whenever you read this post) could you please tell me if the products in the following 2 ebay listings are what I need if I decide to go wireless? I just want to make sure they are right before I buy/bid on them....thanks!

The router:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWA%3AIT&rd=1

The Ethernet Adapter:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWA%3AIT&rd=1

Then all I need is the 2 ethernet patch cables and I'm set! I think that's everything then...wish me luck

Thanks for your help!

hmac13
Old March 30th, 2005, 12:07 AM

Red face

deleted

Last edited by uripyores; March 30th, 2005 at 12:24 AM. Reason: deleted
Old March 30th, 2005, 12:17 AM

Talking

I'm not sure if its the same 'over there' but here if youve got a telephone socket where the ME computer is you can use what they call a HPNA [home phone network adaptor] which saves you running more wires up the stairs[or wherever] Don't know a lot about em but someone here probably does. Price of seems the most advantage. Anyway good luck. [PS. The wireless adaptor [ebay] you mention is for a laptop, which you allready know. Right?]
Old March 30th, 2005, 12:56 AM

1394 ports, in my opinion, shouldn't be used for networking. make sure each computer has a ethernet card, run a router between the XP computer and ME computer, and go from there.

Our setup with dialup and 2 98 computers is a 100 ft run of ethernet cable between ethernet cards and a proxy server on this computer. (along with the modem for dialup)
Old March 30th, 2005, 12:50 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnethead
1394 ports, in my opinion, shouldn't be used for networking. make sure each computer has a ethernet card, run a router between the XP computer and ME computer, and go from there.

Our setup with dialup and 2 98 computers is a 100 ft run of ethernet cable between ethernet cards and a proxy server on this computer. (along with the modem for dialup)
I just have a long firewire/crossover cable [or whatever they call 'em these days] running up the stairs from one computer to the other, with nothing in between. The only thing with this is when I want to use the upstairs one it turns the other one on ; thats the one with the direct internet connection. [ I've got it set to turn off after I finish tho] Other than that its ok...mind u they're both XP if that makes a difference? [sounds about the same as yours magnethead]

Last edited by uripyores; March 30th, 2005 at 12:53 PM.
Old March 30th, 2005, 08:24 PM

No Router Needed?

So you're saying I do NOT need a router at all?? Is that the case? Even if I go wireless? Or only if I go wired?

Just a wire from one pc to the other is all I really need if I go with wired set up?(plus ethernet card for ME machine, of course?)

Btw, thanks for the heads up on the notebook adapter I almost bought!

hmac13
Old March 31st, 2005, 01:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmac13
So you're saying I do NOT need a router at all?? Is that the case? Even if I go wireless? Or only if I go wired?
Just a wire from one pc to the other is all I really need if I go with wired set up?(plus ethernet card for ME machine, of course?)
If going wired you can do it just with a wire from one to the other, but it's better [I think] if you have a router [ one reason being,as I said, the one with the internet connection has to be on for the other to work. It can do it itself, turn off & on....it's just a bit of a drag with the noises sometimes, but that depends on where you have em in your abode I spose.] OK? If you go wireless you'll need a wireless card in each computer.

Last edited by uripyores; March 31st, 2005 at 01:31 AM.
Old March 31st, 2005, 03:01 AM
Senior T-Dog

O/S: Windows 7 64-bit
how u doin hmac13

do have verizon DSL,i do and this is my setup,phoneline connected to modem(westell 2200) modem connected to router(linkeys 4-port BEFRS41 wired) computers 1.2.3.are connected to router via 1. 3ft.yellow patch cable and 2. 15 ft. blue patch cables.i use linksys ethernet lan card (model # LNE100TX ) on all the computers(1 computer has an onboard ethernet card which i disabled)
the linksys cards go between 19$ & 24$,the router about 59$ three months ago,probley cheaper now(compusa),15 ft.patch cables about 7$ at home depot(yes home depot,the cheapest i found) wired is the cheapest of the two
z!p's network setup info is on the money yes you do need a router

Last edited by sho-dan; March 31st, 2005 at 03:38 AM.
Old March 31st, 2005, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sho-dan
how u doin hmac13

z!p's network setup info is on the money yes you do need a router
I agree , I was just saying that it is "possible" to do it without a router.
Old March 31st, 2005, 11:11 PM
Senior T-Dog

O/S: Windows 7 64-bit
how u doin uripyores

is this what your thinking about(i was thinking the easy way)
http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/xp_ics