Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows Vista

Notices

Windows Vista Problem solving for the Windows Vista Operating System. Please remember to state which edition of Vista you are using - Home Basic, Home Premium, Business, Ultimate etc. and whether you are using the 32-bit or 64-bit version if you know.

Topic Tools
Old October 26th, 2007, 06:11 PM

O/S: Windows XP Home
Vista Using Onboard Graphics Instead Of 8800GTS Card

I've just installed a genuine copy of Windows Vista Home Premium 64 bit & made sure my Nvidia 8800GTS was attached correctly to the motherboard at the time of installation. When Vista started up, I went into DXDIAG & it says that the graphics are 14mb integrated as opposed to 640mb Nvidia 8800GTS which I have connected.

I then tried inserting the driver CD but that didn't work either.

I'm all out of ideas. I'd appreciate any help regarding this, thanks.

Also,I just wondered... How is it even showing a display on the monitor if the monitor is attached to the 8800GTS?

Last edited by Vanchatron; October 26th, 2007 at 06:34 PM.
Old October 26th, 2007, 07:02 PM

In the BIOS I found a section called INTEGRATED PERIPHERALS.

Here is the list which was in that section:

SATA RAID/AHCI MODE
SATA PORT0-3 NATIVE MODE
USB CONTROLLER
USB 2.0 CONTROLLER
USB KEYBOARD SUPPORT
USB MOUSE SUPPORT
LEGACY USB STORAGE DETECT
AZALIA CODEC
ONBOARD H/W LAN
SMART LAN
ONBOARD LAN BOOT ROM
ONBOARD SATA/IDE DEVICE
ONBOARD SATA/IDE CTRL MODE
ONBOARD SERIAL PORT 1
ONBOARD PARALLEL PORT
PARALLEL PORT MODE

So as far as I can tell, there's no option there for enabling or disabling onboard graphics. I'm using a Gigabyte GA P35C DS3R Socket 775 8 Channel Audio ATX Motherboard.
Old October 26th, 2007, 07:51 PM

Oh c'mon I really need some help with this, I'm just sat here on my crappy laptop doing nothing while waiting to sort out my PC. I'm beginning to get really frustrated now. Surely somebody is on who can help me out. Yes I realise that there's other people around who needs help but it just seems that if somebody can't be bothered to help with a problem they just move onto something easier.

In the past it only took around 15 mins for people to reply AND solve the problem.
Old October 26th, 2007, 08:13 PM

Double check all your power connections, make sure your power supply is supplying the proper amount of voltage. Are there any bad connections on the bottom of the video card? Anything scratched or anything else? Blown capacitors? You might have a defective bus or a defective card. Did you just build this or is this an upgrade?
Old October 26th, 2007, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbo0485 View Post
Double check all your power connections, make sure your power supply is supplying the proper amount of voltage. Are there any bad connections on the bottom of the video card? Anything scratched or anything else? Blown capacitors? You might have a defective bus or a defective card. Did you just build this or is this an upgrade?
The Video card is fine, I just moved it from my old motherboard onto the new one I have just installed. I installed Vista along with the new motherboard but Vista is using the onboard graphics instead of the 8800GTS.
Old October 26th, 2007, 08:44 PM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
go to the device manager and take a note and see that your graphic card is installed....

if it is ..then you can disable the one under the display adapters....one should be nvidia card and the other should be 14mb ...right click on that one and disable it....i beleive you oging to have to restart your computer and you should....then it should turn off the on board graphic and put itself into your nvidia card

try that

OH Another thing is be sure that you have a driver for your nivida card that will be compatiable with Vista...otherwise you're screwed
Old October 26th, 2007, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakinprince View Post
go to the device manager and take a note and see that your graphic card is installed....

if it is ..then you can disable the one under the display adapters....one should be nvidia card and the other should be 14mb ...right click on that one and disable it....i beleive you oging to have to restart your computer and you should....then it should turn off the on board graphic and put itself into your nvidia card

try that

OH Another thing is be sure that you have a driver for your nivida card that will be compatiable with Vista...otherwise you're screwed
That's one of the smartest things I've heard from somebody online in a while

It may just work, I'll try it now & get back to you.
Old October 26th, 2007, 09:19 PM

make sure its enabled to use PCI graphics instead of onboard, its been a while since ive looked at it but thats the reason the computer isnt recognizing it. The drivers are not the problem, just double check the options in the bios and find the one that lets you use your PCI gfx card.
Old October 26th, 2007, 09:39 PM

OK it's fine now, I installed 64 bit drivers, thanks a lot!
Old October 26th, 2007, 09:42 PM

Dude U Have To Wait For More Than An Hour