Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Hardware > Hardware

Notices

Hardware Use this board for problem solving and the discussion of Computer Hardware issues

Topic Tools
Old July 28th, 2004, 10:24 PM

Unhappy IBM Think Pad

I'd like to be able to use the ISB port on the IBM Think Pad for my cell phone internet connection. I am only able to use the ISB port on the docking station. Any advice?
Old July 28th, 2004, 11:32 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows 7 32-bit
From the symptoms you describe, it looks like the host controller is throwing a wobbler, but the USB root hub is ok.

Look at the entry under "Universal Serial Bus controllers" for "Intel (a model number) PCI to USB Universal Host Controller" in device manager (right click my computer, select device manager). Make surew it isn't disabled or has a yellow splat (explanation mark) next to it.

If all is ok there, you may well have a malfunction on the actual IRD port (little dark window usually near the headphone socket on think pads). It may be something as simple as giving that window a clean with a soft cloth.

Further than that, it could be a jumper issue on the motherboard (pretty unlikely). Be warned, Think Pads are pigs to take apart, look up the online manual at IBM's website before diving in.