Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Linux

Notices

Linux Problem solving for all open source distributions of Linux, such as Debian/Ubuntu, Fedora, RedHat, Suse, Mandriva and other proprietary unixes such as Solaris, SGI Irix. Newbie friendly too!

Topic Tools
Old January 20th, 2013, 06:24 AM

O/S: Windows 10 Home
Need Linux CD to Copy Files

I have an old Dell PC with a crashed Windows XP installation. I'm pretty sure my documents and pictures are on the C drive. I want a Linux CD I can boot from that can see the C drive and an external drive so that I can get my files from the C drive and copy them to the external drive.

Can someone advise me what basic Linux software I can get to create a bootable CD to get my files? Any help would be appreciated.

Never mind. I found something called Puppy Linux, which worked for me. Not sure how to delete this post.

Last edited by rjh213; January 20th, 2013 at 07:49 AM.
Old January 20th, 2013, 01:54 PM

O/S: Linux
Well I am surprised a local tag team aint over this one talking up Knoppix
The last time I rescued Windows files I put the crashed system HDD into a USB HDD enclosure and rescued it with XP by plugging it into the USB port of my XP desktop
Old January 20th, 2013, 05:07 PM
CTH Subscriber

http://www.sysresccd.org/SystemRescueCd_Homepage
Old January 21st, 2013, 12:25 PM
CTH Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by craisin View Post
Well I am surprised a local tag team aint over this one talking up Knoppix
The last time I rescued Windows files I put the crashed system HDD into a USB HDD enclosure and rescued it with XP by plugging it into the USB port of my XP desktop
I am sure everyone has a spare hd enclosure in a drawer someplace so they can do what you suggested. Though it is a valid suggestion, it is best to start with the free stuff first and see if it will work.

Any live linux disc will work but see the following for the steps

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windo...dows-computer/
Old January 21st, 2013, 06:39 PM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
I know a lot of nothing about Linux, but my first experience with it was almost the same as this topic - getting files off a friends crashed Dell, in this case a Dimension 8400 circa '06. We used Knoppix 5.1.1 to copy files to DVD's, a thumb drive, and a portable hard drive for the second crash. (One computer won't survive for long with a family of four).

Not any Linux distro will allow you to even read your Windows hard drive, and some that will won't allow you to copy the files. Knoppix will, and Slax 7.0.2 will.
Old January 23rd, 2013, 08:22 PM
Cyber Tech Help Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjh213 View Post

Never mind. I found something called Puppy Linux, which worked for me. Not sure how to delete this post.
Thanks for the update and glad you got it sorted.
Probably better to have posted as a reply rather than an edit which everyone seemes to have missed (timestamps show the edit took place before anyone had replied).

No reason to delete the post. If someone else is searching how to do this, your post gives them a possible solution.
Old January 28th, 2013, 08:10 PM

My approach on my Dad's old Dell was to simply load up Ubuntu and let him use that as his new OS.

I brought his files across to the Ubuntu partition and he was off and running.

But a number of major problems remained and obviously Ubuntu was not a permanent fix; his Outlook address book would not transfer over to Linux for use in Thunderbird; none of his bookmarks made it either, and none of his desktoop favorites went for the ride. Thunderbird also proved to be tempestuous, and he kept losing the driver for his high end multipuropose printer/scanner/fax and he had to take half a day with a guy in the Phillipines from the printer manufacturer who did not know how to install the driver the maker created specifically for Ubuntu.

But he eventually got about two more years of minimally acceptable service out of it that way, until the hard drive up and died sgain. I was able to revive it long enough with Linux Mint to transfer those files a second time to an oversized USB drive and then get them onto his new laptop, but Mint would not permanently load on the computer and that was that.

Last edited by Total Noob; January 28th, 2013 at 08:14 PM.