Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Windows 10

Notices

Windows 10 Problem solving for the Windows 10 Operating System.

Topic Tools
Old August 20th, 2015, 05:53 PM

O/S: Windows 7 64-bit
I have a Samsung Laptop/tablet and I don't see any ports that I can hard wire to the router. Just USB ports? Don
Old August 21st, 2015, 06:39 AM
CTH Subscriber

Ok, a tablet will not have a LAN port.

Rightclick on your internet connection in the tray, choose network and release center.
In the popup, click on your internet connection on the right side.

Another popup will appear, scroll down to TCP/IP v4 protocoll and doubleclick it.

Now you will see your ip setup. Please make a screenshot of that window.
Old August 21st, 2015, 07:47 AM
Cyber Tech Help Moderator

O/S: Linux
Quote:
Sorry but this whole thing started when I updated my OS from windows 7 to Windows 10. Also, the computer that I'm having the problems with is hard wired to my router, connects to my server but will not show the web pages.. The computer that I'm communicating to you with is on the wireless network and connects to the internet with no problem. So, both computers are connected to the same server. One wired directly to the router and the other by wireless. One works the other doesn't. Maybe I'm in the wrong department?
As schrauber has ruled out malware, I have moved this to the Windows 10 forum.

Quote:
Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : F0-4D-A2-3A-5A-D7
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : DW1525 (802.11n) WLAN PCIe Card
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : C0-CB-38-59-47-4B
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::3803:2fad:b8ba:178c%17(Preferred)
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.7(Preferred)
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Wednesday, August 19, 2015 8:58:13 AM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Thursday, August 20, 2015 8:58:14 AM
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 230738744
DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-14-88-6E-47-F0-4D-A2-3A-5A-D7
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled
This indicates that your desktop wired connection is failing and it is using wireless too. DNS does not appear to be a problem, as shown here:
Quote:
Name: google.com
Addresses: 2607:f8b0:4007:807::200e

Pinging google.com [216.58.219.46] with 32 bytes of data:
Request timed out.
Request timed out.

Ping statistics for 216.58.219.46:
Packets: Sent = 2, Received = 0, Lost = 2 (100% loss),
Server: UnKnown
Address: 192.168.1.1
I was going to suggest you disconnect the wired connection and just try the wireless, but it appears this is already being tested and failing.

Can you try disabling the ethernet adapter so the only connection available is the wi-fi?
Old August 21st, 2015, 05:02 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows 10 Home
Last week my Missus had the same problem. She upgraded her Windows 8 to Windows 10, only to find she couldn't get on the internet through W10. She called MS Support and it was determined there was a problem (I wasn't at home at the time, and she couldn't explain what the problem was) and the bloke suggested "downgrading" back to W8. Once that was done, she had her internet access back on that PC. So it might just be worthwhile giving them a call, even if it means being on hold for 4 days!!
Old August 21st, 2015, 07:26 PM

I'm getting really confused here!! I did disconnect the router and connect using wireless. It is connected to the server but will not show the page Just "webpage cannot be displayed". I tried to go back to win8 but I was unsuccessful. How do you disable the ethernet adapter? What's the phone number for MS support. I tried the support forum but got nothing.
Old August 21st, 2015, 10:30 PM

Don, assuming you have double-checked the ethernet cable from the desktop to the router, I suspect Windows 10 Automatic Updates has updated the driver for your LAN adapter and that's why it worked initially but is now failing.

I don't have a Win10 system to be able to guide you directly to disabling the hardware.
In 8.1, you would open the Network and Sharing Center and there would be a link on the left to Change Adapter Settings. Right click the disconnected ethernet adapter and "disable". Reboot and see if that cleans up the Wi-fi connection.

If that works, then we can start looking to get your ethernet working again.
Old August 21st, 2015, 11:53 PM

OK, I hit the LOGO +X keys. Menu appeared and I clicked on Network Connections. A window came uo with three Icons LAN connection (disabled), my wired connection (disconnected) and wireless connection. Double clicked the wired connection. VPN was highlighted and I clicked on Network sharing Center and clicked on disable on the wired connection. Rebooted. No difference in connection. "Webpage cannot be displayed. I hope I did it right. The way you suggested wouldn't work.....Don

Last edited by DonL; August 21st, 2015 at 11:56 PM.
Old August 22nd, 2015, 01:26 AM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
Right click on Start (Left hand corner) then to Network Connections, this should show the connections you have. Click on the one you want Diagnose then click on Diagnose this connection at top of the window. This would be where you also can disable the network device.
Old August 22nd, 2015, 02:24 AM

O/S: Windows 8 Pro
Hi,

have you tried resetting the router to default settings, using the tiny button at the back?

You may have set security settings in the router itself, par example... password for wireless access, trusted machine IP adresses, and the windows 10 upgrade won't (I think) import these settings/logins or wants to use the more strict protocols for password encryption.

I think you ought to look into the routre security settings, and the easiest way is to set to default (hardware reset), and then reconfigure with passwords you know/standards that windows 10 is happy about.

For instance, My sitecom router will every now and then pop up a screen for some "bundled offer" for extra security which I don't use, but when it does, it requires the password. My netgear router is used for wired access (because its radio function is turned off, I use it for repair work, see) and the sitecom -plugged into the netgear and therefore behind the netgear- is used for protected wireless and one wired.
(When I need fast wireless access without addeing a trusted machine to the sitecom, I switch on the physical radio button in the "unsecured" netgear so I see the WIFI light come on and let the machine I must work on use the netgear wifi. When the job is done, I shut the radio function on netgear off so I again only use secured wifi on sitecom)

that was a besides..
But, there are reset buttons, wifi on/off buttons, and when you login into your router (198.168.1.1 for instance) you can reconfigure passwords and protocols and trusted IP (trusted IP being the trusted computers the router sees connected to it, which can be a hardened router plugged into it )

One other thing.
you may have cloned MAC adress in the past, and I realy think you cant't have two identical MAC adresses in the network trying to get out to the internet.

Hardware resetting should get rid if all these impossible situations, and you should be able to reconfiger security and make it work.
Old August 22nd, 2015, 04:25 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows 10 Home
Here's the number my missus used, to get Microsoft Support.....

1 (800) 642-7676
Old August 22nd, 2015, 05:25 PM

Thanks Lufbra. With that, I'll tell you what I've done. The wired connection is disabled. wireless says that it is connected but still nothing. I did a diagnosis on the wireless and it said, "Problem with wireless adapter or access point.............Fixed
Reset the wireless adapter...........Completed
Investigate router or access point issues............Not run

I tried to copy the log but I couldn't but at the end it stated, "there may be a problem "
Let me mention that when talking with my server she had me by pass the router and I still had the problem. Don
Old August 22nd, 2015, 10:57 PM

Finally got in contact with Microsoft and they were no help. She said that I'd have to check with Dell who indicated that they no longer support my computer (5 yrs old). Don
Old August 23rd, 2015, 12:11 AM

I went to Atheros Communications (maker of my adapter card for Dell) and the last update for drivers was 2010. And my drivers are up to date. So I guess I get a new card. Any opinions on a card. I have a Atheros DW 1525 (802.11n) WLAN PCIe card. Thanks, Don
Old August 23rd, 2015, 12:15 AM
CTH Subscriber

before you get a card, did you try a power cycle on both your modem and router? If not, unplug both from power for a 20 count. plug modem back in, wait about 5 minutes or until all the lights are on that are normally on. then plug in the router. wait until all of those lights are on as normal. see if it helps. also did you go to dells website to see if they have the proper win10 drivers?

Last edited by renegade600; August 23rd, 2015 at 12:23 AM.
Old August 23rd, 2015, 05:07 PM

I'll try it. Dell doesn't support my computer for Windows 10. Almost 6 yrs old. Thanks, Don