Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Software > Applications

Notices

Applications Use this board for problem solving and the discussion of computer software applications

Topic Tools
Old March 2nd, 2008, 05:06 PM

Tax software?

I have basic taxes. No fancy stuff other than a few mutual funds. I want to use a tax program but file via mail, just put numbers in and print. I don't want to use the internet AT ALL for the process other than to update the software just prior to doing my taxes. I don't want any personal information going to ANYONE. The update obviously is not an issue. What is the cheapest best option. I've heard of TurboTax and Taxcut only. Also, what version? There seems to be a Premium, Federal, etc. version for some of them.
Old March 2nd, 2008, 05:13 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Linux
I used TaxCut the last couple of years for both federal and state. I only need the basic features/forms also. It does have the option of filing by snail mail. I used the online filling so I can get the money faster. This year I received the money in my checking account within five business days after filing.

Just get the version that says federal and state. Since you do not want to efile, dont get the version that says efile on the cover.
Old March 2nd, 2008, 07:40 PM

I was asking a similar question "QuickTax or Ufile, In Canadians case", than my thread disappeared. However people have claimed that TurboTax is better than TaxCut.

Last edited by DJoe; March 2nd, 2008 at 07:50 PM.
Old March 2nd, 2008, 07:45 PM
CTH Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJoe View Post
I was asking a similar question than my thread disappeared. People have claimed that TurboTax is better than TaxCut.
its all just opinions. Personally I never used turbotax so I cannot judge it. However taxcut was easy to use and did what I needed it to do.

I did find this review/comparison.
Old March 3rd, 2008, 02:44 AM

That comparison is great. Thanks. Which one does Federal, State, deductions (donations, etc.), investments (mutual funds, savings account, etc.) mail via post office and costs the least? I need the exact name of the software and which specific one. I'm dumb.

Thanks!
Old March 3rd, 2008, 02:46 AM

That comparison is great. Thanks. Which one does Federal, State, IRA contribution, gambling winnings/losses, deductions (donations, etc.), Real Estate Tax deduction for my coop that I live in (whether I take standard deduction or not), tells me what documentation to attach to tax forms to be mailed, investments (mutual funds, bank savings/checking account, etc.) can get any online updates prior to printing (without giving any personal info. online to get it), mail via post office and costs the least? I need the exact name of the software and which specific version. Also, it must do everything I mentioned. I'm dumb.

Thanks!

Last edited by johnnybignose; March 3rd, 2008 at 03:26 AM.
Old March 3rd, 2008, 06:47 AM

O/S: Windows Vista 32-bit
Tax Act and Tax cut are about equal in my opinion, used them both over the last few years. Using TAX ACT this year, DeLuxe State and Federal. From www.taxact.com 2nd Story Software. Cost me $19.95 direct from their site.

All tax software will give you Return printouts ready for mailing.
Old March 3rd, 2008, 01:37 PM

Thanks but i still need someone to answer my post thoroughly.
Old March 3rd, 2008, 04:34 PM
CTH Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnybignose View Post
That comparison is great. Thanks. Which one does Federal, State, IRA contribution, gambling winnings/losses, deductions (donations, etc.), Real Estate Tax deduction for my coop that I live in (whether I take standard deduction or not), tells me what documentation to attach to tax forms to be mailed, investments (mutual funds, bank savings/checking account, etc.) can get any online updates prior to printing (without giving any personal info. online to get it), mail via post office and costs the least? I need the exact name of the software and which specific version. Also, it must do everything I mentioned. I'm dumb.

Thanks!
since I dont deal with all of that I really cannot tell you which version. I believe all you need is the taxcut federal and state premium. It will do deductions and personal investments. You may find out more by doing your own googling.
Old March 3rd, 2008, 07:20 PM

Is that the least expensive that you think would do the trick for me?