Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Hardware > Hardware

Notices

Hardware Use this board for problem solving and the discussion of Computer Hardware issues

Topic Tools
Old January 5th, 2006, 12:10 PM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
Question In way over my head

The more I try to find a motherboard compatible with my CPU, the more frustrated I seem to be getting. I was hoping somebody could clarify a few things for me.
I have an Intel Celeron D LGA775 3.06GHz CPU 346. It has a 533MHz FSB and a 256kb L2 cache. It also mentions EM64T technology.

I found out this means that my motherboard has to have a BIOS that supports the EM64T technology.

Does this also mean that my motherboard has to have a 533MHz FSB and a 256Kb L2 cache, as I found the Asus P5P800S, which (according to one of the moderators) is compatible with EM64T, as long as it's LGA775 (which it is)
The specs I've found on this particular board states that it 'supports the latest Pentium 4 CPU from Intel in LGA775 package, with 800MHz FSB, 1Mb L2 Cache..'

This board would be best for me, as it has sufficient expansion room and is the right price.

Does this mean that the FSB on the motherboard will just run at the CPU speed?

I just want to make sure it's definately compatible before I buy this board ( like I did with my CPU, not knowing the confusion I'd be in now :P )

Any help would be *much* appreciated

Thanks
Old January 5th, 2006, 12:32 PM

Hi,
The EM64T technology is 64 bit performance support
See here: http://www.intel.com/technology/64bitextensions/ for more info.

The way of the computing world is definantley going 64 bit so you should go for the board that provides support if your CPU does also. The main thing is to get the correct socket set for your chip which you already have done.
As for the speeds, well they're kinda seperate but will affect each other. The motherboard will run at the speed of the onboard clock and the CPU manipulates this speed and multiplies it, so the faster the board basically the better the PC. Personally I would always invest in a good MOBO.
The L2 cache is found on the CPU as is part of the FSB but the Northbridge Chip is also in play here, the northbridge is the controller for your RAM so basically the faster the FSB, again quicker the PC.
The only thing to bear in mind if you are intending to go down the 64 bit route is that to get full benefit you also neeed a 64 bit operating system and 64 bit expansion card drivers, make sure your new peripherals support this as at the moment there are not a lot of 64 drivers out there.
If you are upgrading at this point something else I would recommend is to go for a board that supports SATA (Serial ATA), and get an SATA HDD too. The speed difference is brilliant, you should also look at PCI Express support on your board, all this for future proofing.
Hope this helps.
Old January 5th, 2006, 12:39 PM

The problem is, I wasn't told that this CPU was only compatible with EM64T. Can I just put this CPU in a normal motherboard and not use EM64T? That would make life so much easier. The computer store guy just said it was a standard Celeron D CPU, and didn't mention that I need a more expensive motherboard.

I'll be running either Windows XP Home or Corporate, and I can't afford to go and buy new stuff thats more compatible, and I'm not ready to sell my CPU (refund was only for 10 days) and warranty won't cover it.
Old January 5th, 2006, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intel
Intel® EM64T requires a computer system with a processor, chipset, BIOS, operating system, device drivers and applications enabled for Intel EM64T. Processor will not operate (including 32-bit operation) without an Intel EM64T-enabled BIOS.
You require a motherboard that can handle EM64T processors. Most LGA775 boards do, usually with a BIOS upgrade, though there are still some models which don't. You'll need to find a board that specifically mentions it supports EM64T, but just because a board doesn't mention it doesn't mean it doesn't support it (either natively, or with a BIOS upgrade), so you should research the model online to see if it does support it (or have a BIOS upgrade that will enable support).
Quote:
Originally Posted by hypothermia
Can I just put this CPU in a normal motherboard and not use EM64T?
EMT64 is not a feature you can just 'disable', it's the whole architecture of the CPU - keeping with the 'architecture' meme, it would be like buying a brick house then wanting it to be a straw hut.
Old January 6th, 2006, 05:36 AM

I found this Asus board, which says its 64 bit CPU compatible. I think this is the one I'll buy http://www.asus.com/products.aspx?l1...38&modelmenu=1
Old January 6th, 2006, 02:38 PM

That board will support your CPU, but if you plan getting that board to replace the Gigabyte GA-8S661FXM in your sig, there's one problem - the video interface on the Gigabyte board is AGP (and hence your GeForce 6600GT would be AGP interface). The ASUS board has a PCI-Express interface, which replaces AGP and is not compatible with it. However if this is for a different computer, and you'll be getting a PCI-Express graphics card, then by all means that ASUS board is a good one.