Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Hardware > Hardware

Notices

Hardware Use this board for problem solving and the discussion of Computer Hardware issues

Topic Tools
Old July 11th, 2007, 04:12 PM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
Exclamation Disk boot error insert system disk and press enter

I just received a brand new HITACHI Deskstar T7K500 320 gb sata drive. My plan was to install it as the secondary drive at first and transfer my data to it via windows. I plug it in (yes, to one power source) and leave the jumpers in my original IDE (a Hitachi deskstar as well) set to master. So I boot it up, and then it gives me the error I got about 4 or 5 times when I first installed windows, something about a DLL file being corrupted and needed replaced. So I thought if I have to install windows again, I might as well just install it on the SATA since I was going to do that eventually anyways. So I COMPLETELY disconnect the IDE and boot again. This is the first time I got the message “Disk boot error insert system disk and press enter.” So I switch it back to the IDE and try to reinstall windows on that, SAME MESSAGE. Then I set the boot first priority as the cdrom for the windows install. Now, whenever I do this, it get to the screen “press any key to boot from cd” or “select which version of windows to install.” The cursor is blinking, but the keyboard stops working….it works in the bios, but no further than that. So I had this small 4 gb Maxtor lying around and I threw that in there and I noticed something else in the BIOS. The detection setting for my hard drives are set to auto, and it will detect the Maxtor, but not the SATA or the other IDE. But when I try to boot from the Maxtor or install windows to it, I get the exact same messages. I’ve got a moderately high understanding of computers (at least above average haha) but this is really frustrating me. I built the system about a year ago and this is the first major issue I have had (besides windows being a pain) Also I think my MoBo is obsolete already, I can’t seem to find any extended atx MoBos or cases anymore…..and its only been a year….yippee. I plan on trying to put my IDE in a friends computer this weekend to see if it works….I’ll update this thread after that……..Any suggestions would be really appreciated.

Here are my system specs:
(I could only find the stuff I bought from newegg.com, im at work)

CPU - AMD Athlon 64 3400+ Newcastle 2.4GHz Socket 754 Processor Model ADA3400AEP4AX - OEM
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819103488

MoBo - ASUS 90-M9L0L1-G0UAYZ Socket 754 NVIDIA nForce4 4X ATX Motherboard/VGA Set - Retail (Page is gone)

Original IDE HD - ? bought it at best buy, I just remember its a Hitachi Deskstar 160 gb.

New SATA - HITACHI Deskstar T7K500 HDT725032VLA360 (0A33435) 320GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM
http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16822145129
Old July 12th, 2007, 02:35 PM

bump
Old July 12th, 2007, 02:51 PM

EATX boards (normally used in workstations) are being pushed out in favor of WTX and your board was on the way out long before you bought it.

To use SATA drives, generally, you must install the drivers DURING the Windows install process. Look for and hit F6 when prompted to install 3rd party controllers (it says SCSI or RAID but this is the time to install SATA too). The 3rd party driver for your board can be found (often hidden) on the utilities disk that came with your motherboard. And it must be copied to a floppy disk that you insert when prompted.
Old July 13th, 2007, 04:21 PM

Just realized something else, but haven't had time to try it. Its seems unlikely that it would be the reason, but I took out some USB jumpers on the board to try and hook up my front USB which i had never gotten around to. They ended up not working, and I left the jumpers out. That wouldn't have any effect on my HDDs would it???

bump
Old July 13th, 2007, 05:19 PM

USB jumpers. I don't remember seeing USB jumpers on any motherboard - and ASUS does not seem to know about your motherboard so I can't download the manual. That said, I don't see USB affecting SATA or IDE drives, but you need to check your manual to see what those jumpers really do.