Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Software > Gaming

Notices

Gaming Use this board for problem solving and the discussion of PC & Console Gaming issues

Topic Tools
Old March 9th, 2008, 06:13 AM

ping (moved from Vista Forum)

i play a game called counterstrike. when i first started playing i was wondering why shots wouldnt register, i found out it was because something was wrong with my ping issues. i used to have 80-90 ping in dallas servers and i updated some things and then i h ad 50 ping. now after i formated my computer i am back to 80-90 ping and shots dont register. i have updated through windows update and i have no idea what the problem is now. i play in leagues for the game and used to be the best player on my team. now i suck because of this. if anyone can help me that would be great
Old March 9th, 2008, 06:46 AM

O/S: Windows 7 32-bit
Welcome to CTH Rem

Although you may have some knowledge of pings - I will treat it that you don't and hence give a short explanation as to pings and why you might get a high ping. Please don't take this offensively, you may be much more knowledgeable in the area of pings than I am. But, it's important we both understand each other.

A ping test determines whether your computer can communicate with another computer over the network. Then, if network communication is established, ping tests also determine the connection latency (technical term for delay) between the two computers.

So, if I was to be situated in America, trying to connect to a CS server in Australia - I would naturally get a high ping, regardless of how amazing my computer was. As the distance between the two servers is great, and hence the latency is also increased.

My first point then, is that some servers you will get a high ping, and some you should get a medium/low ping. You'll always get these high pings one, but you should also have low ping servers you can connect to, which is the important point.

Are all the servers you connect to high ping, or only some which as I have suggested, may be due to the distance you are away from the server?
Old March 9th, 2008, 07:06 AM

ok what i am trying to say is that i have a private server and it is located in dallas. i used to have 80 ping and shots didnt hit. i finally fixed it so i had 50 and my shots registered i formatted my computer and now i have the same ping and shots dont register.
Old March 9th, 2008, 08:06 AM

My point was that unless you messed about with CS:S cfg files and got lower graphic settings etc or happen to have malware, or large resource hogging programs in the background. It's very hard to get a better ping.

What type of steps did you take last time to get a higher ping? Did you modify the settings of CS?
Old March 9th, 2008, 08:52 AM

all i did was use windows update and update drivers for nvidia.
Old March 9th, 2008, 09:15 AM

That's a strange one. I fail to see how updating the drivers and running windows update managed to get you a 30-40 less ping
Old March 9th, 2008, 10:08 AM

ya me 2
Old March 9th, 2008, 10:44 AM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
turn off internet using things
stop all downloads, close MSN, everything that you think uses the internet
then try again

back in the day of CS 1.5
we used to get 250Ping and we were all happy
slightly earlier still we got 1500 ping with our 56k modems and were just happy to play it
and now I get
5 ping on Team Fortress 2