Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Linux

Notices

Linux Problem solving for all open source distributions of Linux, such as Debian/Ubuntu, Fedora, RedHat, Suse, Mandriva and other proprietary unixes such as Solaris, SGI Irix. Newbie friendly too!

Topic Tools
Old November 28th, 2004, 02:57 PM

Smile SuSE 9.1 personal

New here and first of all a big hello to all of you!I create graphics and database for games (fifa and TCM) as a hobby so I have a big experience with Windows but I had decide to run again after some years suse again. I found the personal 9.1 edition of SuSE and... modem doesnt work (zt3000 notebook of HP) even though when i was installing the OS I heard it calling then silence of the lambs... Then i said ok f**k that we go on cable (firewire doesnt work either needs upgrade) and i download the new netscape and ... yes u got that right I cannot install it? no matter what I got a message from konguerror that for my own ..safety it doesnt allow it to installed! Now thats something eh guys? Anyway i am off to Germany next week (I am Greek) and i get from there the 9.2 pro so I will install everything and hopefully I wont have probs like those anymore. (not very sure about that hehe)
Old November 28th, 2004, 04:19 PM
CTH Subscriber

Hello there Silverknight and welcome to CTH!

When you were installing Netscape, were you logged in as root? (su as root is the safest, actually). You probably know this, but one needs certain permissions to be able to install programs and write files to system and binary directories. So unless you're root, or gave your user 'root-like' permissions, you probably cannot install Netscape.

Last edited by twistedcranium; November 28th, 2004 at 04:21 PM.
Old November 28th, 2004, 08:34 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Linux
Yes what TC said...also I think you will be much better off with 9.2 pro than the SuSe personal distro. We have had that debate on this very forum already and it would seem we all agree that personal 9.1 isn't the most newb friendly distro around. On a side note "yay TC good to see you buddy". I know you can't hang out as much as you used to but we will take what we can get
Old November 28th, 2004, 09:20 PM
Cyber Tech Help Moderator

O/S: Linux
:superfluous post begins:
Nice to see you TC!

Otherwise echo everything previously said - nice when we're all singing from the same hymnsheet isn't it?
:superfluous post ends: