Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Linux

Notices

Linux Problem solving for all open source distributions of Linux, such as Debian/Ubuntu, Fedora, RedHat, Suse, Mandriva and other proprietary unixes such as Solaris, SGI Irix. Newbie friendly too!

Topic Tools
Old February 11th, 2006, 12:25 AM

Wink Going online with Linux <solved>

Hi all

I'm being a bit of a duh here: I just installed SuSE OSS 10.0 to replace my SuSE 9.0, which I was getting fed up of for many reasons. Anyway, after much hassle (the online installation didn't work, but I downloaded the whole fr!&&ing lot onto CDs and managed to get that to work), I now have it installed on a dual boot with WinXP as before.

What do I have to do to get online? I configured my ethernet card, configured my DSL device (all using YaST) ... but no joy. Perhaps I didn't do it correctly. The router is showing a succesful DSL connection, but I can't go anywhere with either the browser or the online update - no connection. This is frustrating - I went online with SuSE 9.0 (same thing: LAN cable to router) without any difficulty.

I keep getting the message on the desktop &quot;netapplet failed unexpectedly&quot;. What does that mean? Does this have anything to do with my failed online connection?

Thanks for any advice.

Norm

Last edited by kage; February 12th, 2006 at 10:49 PM. Reason: marking as 'solved' per users request
Old February 11th, 2006, 04:09 AM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Linux
Open up a terminal window and type su to become root (you'll need to enter your root password). Then try running 'ifconfig eth0 up' and 'dhcpcd eth0', see what happens. Also check the output (post it here if you want) of 'dmesg |grep eth'.
Old February 11th, 2006, 02:14 PM

Arrow That did the trick!

Hi Kage

Problem solved! I ran <ifconfig eth0 up> and <dhcpcd eth0> and am now writing this reply on Firefox/Gnome. Cooool! Just goes to show - if you want to do something properly in Linux, forget YaST and use the shell.

Thank you very much indeed for this quick and easy solution.

For my next trick, I'm going to try and get my WLAN client (Atheros chipset) to work so that I can dispense with the LAN cable. Already works perfectly on WinXP and should, in theory, work with SuSE 10.

Norm
Old February 11th, 2006, 10:57 PM

Exclamation Back to square one

Hi Kage

me again, I'm afraid - after doing an online update of SuSE and rebooting, I can no longer get online. Sigh ... I tried the same commands again. This time <ifconfig eth0 up> worked fine but <dhcpcd eth0> produced the reply that DHCP was already running. But I still can't get online. The dmesg output is:

Code:
eth0: VIA Rhine II at 0x1dc00, 00:0c:6e:5b:e7:4f, IRQ 11.
eth0: MII PHY found at address 1, status 0x786d advertising 05e1 Link 41e1.
eth0: link up, 100Mbps, full-duplex, lpa 0x41E1
eth0: no IPv6 routers present
SFW2-INext-DROP-DEFLT IN=eth0 OUT= MAC= SRC=192.168.178.20 DST=224.0.0.251 LEN=108 TOS=0x00 PREC=0x00 TTL=255 ID=7 DF PROTO=UDP SPT=5353 DPT=5353 LEN=88
SFW2-INext-DROP-DEFLT IN=eth0 OUT= MAC= SRC=192.168.178.20 DST=224.0.0.251 LEN=108 TOS=0x00 PREC=0x00 TTL=255 ID=8 DF PROTO=UDP SPT=5353 DPT=5353 LEN=88
SFW2-INext-DROP-DEFLT IN=eth0 OUT= MAC= SRC=192.168.178.20 DST=224.0.0.251 LEN=108 TOS=0x00 PREC=0x00 TTL=255 ID=9 DF PROTO=UDP SPT=5353 DPT=5353 LEN=88
eth0: link up, 100Mbps, full-duplex, lpa 0x41E1
martian source 255.255.255.255 from 192.168.178.1, on dev eth0
eth0: no IPv6 routers present
Now, of course, the final output - no router present - suggests it ain't connected to the router. Well, it is - I've changed nothing since this afternoon when I was online. Furthermore, I can reach the configuration interface of the router itself, so the computer is communicating with the router down the hallway. I just can't get any further than the router ...

Sorry to be so hopeless. I'm confused as to why this ain't working.

Thanks for any further advice.

Norm
Old February 12th, 2006, 10:12 AM

Arrow Silly me

Hi Kage

Have now managed to solve the problem - I think. I didn't have the correct configuration details so that the DSL connection was attempting to use the previous IP addresses to reconnect to my provider. This, of course, doesn't work with DHCP. However, I found an article on the internet which warned that you have to first select static IP, delete all the info, and then select DHCP and finally reboot to ensure that the settings are correct.

Things seems to be working now. I'll just reboot once more to ensure that this isn't a one-off success like last time. If so, I'll mark this thread resolved. Back in a minute.

Norm
Old February 12th, 2006, 10:17 AM

Smile Definitely resolved

Thanks Kage - now resolved for sure. After a second re-boot, the correct settings remained.

Norm

PS - I can't find a <mark as resolved> setting on this forum ... but it is resolved.